Why do you think he does this?

For some reason my 18 month old bangs his forhead on the wall when he gets upset. I am not sure how to react to this because none of my other kids have done this.

mpactem

Asked by mpactem at 11:41 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my hubby use to do that as a kid, till he was a teen lol just showing anger .

And he is a VERY smart man, his grades where all A's all the way through collage.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• In my experience, i have found that small children have sometimes a hard time expressing anger and have to find someway to let out their frustration. They have the need to destroy to feel better i guess you could say. I nanny'ed for many years and had a high tempered little guy and he would hurt himself and others to get his anger out. I found that letting him go outside and scream would sometimes help and then allowing him to sit with scrap paper and tear paper... the process of ripping and tearing really allowed him to get out his anger. Shortly after he stopped hurting himself and others and would let me know that he needed some paper when he was mad. Getting him to express that he was mad and that it was okay to let me know that was a wonderful way to understand when and why he was mad and get the communucation happenning. Hope this helps a little. Good luck!
    NewMommie333

Answer by NewMommie333 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• collage.. hahaha college...

Anyway maybe talk to the doctor about talking to the child about expressing anger because it would be awful to get a concussion or something... You need to have child be able to learn how to express otherwise the head banging might continue
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• teach him how to express his emotions w/ words. we play a game w/ emotions, to show them better & how to use their words.
    lilydoyle

Answer by lilydoyle at 1:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2010