How would you respond????

If your child came home one day and said s/he was gay? Would you be upset or support their decision?

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• it's his/her life and I love my children regaurdless of their sexual preferance! I would suport him/her and try my best to help them cope with any negitivity that came their way as a result
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I think that honestly depends on if you considering a decision. I personally, wouldn't consider it a 'decision' I think people are or are not gay... I mean we all love to love so what's the difference who it is that we're loving? You know... My thoughts for gay guys... I think that high levels of stress during pregnancy overload estrogen = gay boy... But I'm no scientist or doctor...
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My reaction would be based on his age. Both my boys tell me they are gay all the time, but in our house gay means Happy.
    If they did tell me however I wouldn't care at all. I accept my children for who they are. I think what would be most upsetting is the possiblity that I wouldn't have grandchildren, because i definitely want to have the opportunity to be a grandmother.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Support.....I could never be mad at my son for telling me this....If this is how he feels then that is who he is....and who knows it could just be a phase...i had friends in high school that went through that....
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I agree that I wouldn't view it as a decision- afterall I never made the decision to be straight, that is just who I am. I would absolutely support my child to be true to themself, whoever that may be. My DD is two right now but she constanty insists she is a boy. I doubt she will grow up to have a gender identity issue (she is only two afterall) but I don't constantly correct her either because it just isn't worth it. I love her and support her no matter who she decides to be, at 2 or 22. Discovering who she is is something I can not do for her.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Just FYI "decision" meant to tell people - not that they would've decided to be gay.....

I posed this question to my 1st x/DH about our dd and if she would tell him (she hasn't) someday that she was lesbian and he threw a fit over it! He was like "NO WAY! NO WAY IN HELL!" I was very sad because I think that is wrong!
    Babylove76

Comment by Babylove76 (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• that is really sad!
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• i would definitely support her decision because i would love her unconditionally -
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• this is your child you will always love them no matter what talk to them about the subject with an open mind be calm ask them what makes them think this discuss their feelings with them seek professional help for both you and your child they may be mistaking extreme friendship for sexual feeling for someone if you are religious pray most of all don't discuss this with any one else without asking your child if he minds like other family members or friends
    beckybuck

Answer by beckybuck at 1:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• it depends on your relationship, & how you feel about gayness. if my dh said that to me, i'd be devastated. my ex's? i'd be overjoyed! lol
    lilydoyle

Answer by lilydoyle at 1:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2010