how to start potty training a almost 2 year old....

my reason to want to start now is that i found out im pregnant....and with my first son he didnt have potty down till he was 3......so what can i do to help my son who is almost 2 learn to pee in the toilet

mama2my2boys

Asked by mama2my2boys at 11:59 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There are a lot of different ways, maybe google it. I know the british woman who writes the baby whisperer books says that Americans start potty training much later than Brits. I did the no-diaper/no-underwear method where they go bottomless in the house and have accidents that you just clean up until they get it. My dd was 20 months and got it within about 2-3 days, but pooping in the potty was harder for her and took us much longer. It was ok though, she was able to be in panties full-time with a diaper only for naps/bed and pooping.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 12:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I started young with all my boys. The first couple of days I put them in real underwear (or training underwear that is a bit thicker so you don't have such a mess on the floor. :D I have tried the - put them on the potty every 15 minutes but that got old for them and me! I would take them about every hours. When (because they will) they wet their pants I picked them up and RAN for the bathroom, telling them "Don't wet your pants. You are supposed to do that in the toilet!!!" Then I had them sit on the toilet while I talked to them about not wetting their pants and saying potty or coming to get me when they needed to go. By about day 2 they figured out what I wanted them to do and would go in the potty or wet a little bit in their pants and then do the rest in the potty. From there I was pretty lazy. Somedays it was pull ups (especially if I was out and about or not feeling well with being pregnant.) I HATE . . . .
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• . . . I HATE cleaning the carpet. So I bought a bunch of sweat pants and the kids wore those. Easy to change, soak up the pee, and easy to wash. :D Starting early means you may have a lot of accidents, but then one day they get it, and it will be smooth sailing! Good luck.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:04 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• have dad show him, maybe put cherrios in the tiolet.
    lilydoyle

Answer by lilydoyle at 1:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I agree. Its not something they just get over a couple of days, but they are trained for weeks and months until they are ready. My daughter and the rest of the daycare girls in her 2 year old class are diaper-free. They would ask every hour if they need to go and if they did they would get a reward (1jellybean). At home we do the sticker chart. Then she would only want a jellybean, so we got some for the house and now she does it with no problems. Good luck !
    ByronAidenMom

Answer by ByronAidenMom at 1:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2010