just wondering if u can still adopt or foster parent

Ok here is the deal. I would love to adopt or even foster parent. I have such a heart for kids. I have a 7 month old baby myself. But my husband and I like ayr ago got into a altercation with his mother . She hit me and I pushed her back and so she put charges against me even though she hit me first . Anyways I got a ticket in the mail. A TICKET. It said on harrasment by physical contact, BUt it wansnt a charge it was a ticket. I was wondering if that would stop us from adopting or fostering. The whole situation got blow out of praportion. His mother has a lot of problems and I was defending myself from her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Adoption

• CHECK OUT THIS WEB SITE I DID SOME RESEARCH FOR YOU http://www.ocfs.state.ny.us/main/fostercare/requirements.asp
    AND
    http://www.fosteringresults.org/press/pewpress_03-17-04_oakland.pdf
    t_cutie_07

Answer by t_cutie_07 at 3:51 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• unless you went to court for it then its not on your record... that would have had to have been settled in a 'misdemeanor' court and put on your record then... it shouldnt effect you in anyway.. if so, then children services would have already been at your door about your 7 month's old safety... dont worry about it.. talk to an agency or a family law attorney and they'll let you know more
    mfialdrdickhaus

Answer by mfialdrdickhaus at 12:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• that should not be a problem at all.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 6:26 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• You should have nothing to worry about. It will probably show up on your background check, however when the social worker completes your home study, you will have every opportunity to speak to exactly what happened.
    Anonymous

• How would you handle a foster child that got into an altercation with you? hit him? obviously, you did not think twice about using physical contact against an elder parent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• We have done foster care, and I wouldn't worry so much about the altercation. I would worry about what foster kids can do to your 7 month old. Many of these kids have been abused in many different ways. In return, they take out their aggressions and what has been done to them on the younger children around them. It is a common rule in foster care not to have any foster children older than your own youngest child. This is really a rule you should abide by. Also consider the heart break that will happen when the foster child goes back to a birth parent or moves away. It's like losing a child. As a parent you somewhat understand the situation, but as a child they don't know why their "sibling" is leaving. They often think, "will this happen to me?" Really think about your decision to become foster parents. It is a really tough job and has a lot of demands that you can't even imagine right now.
    JulieDH

Answer by JulieDH at 10:50 AM on Jul. 11, 2008