Anyone live in California? What do you think about the OVERESTIMATED pollution levels... 340%?

California grossly miscalculated pollution levels in a scientific analysis used to toughen the state's clean-air standards, and scientists have spent the past several months revising data and planning a significant weakening of the landmark regulation, The Chronicle has found.

The pollution estimate in question was too high - by 340 percent, according to the California Air Resources Board, the state agency charged with researching and adopting air quality standards. The estimate was a key part in the creation of a regulation adopted by the Air Resources Board in 2007, a rule that forces businesses to cut diesel emissions by replacing or making costly upgrades to heavy-duty, diesel-fueled off-road vehicles used in construction and other industries.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• corruption and graft...........that is what all this "clean energy" is going to be about because there is too much money to be made.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• . http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/07/BAOF1FDMRV.DTL&ao=3

First of all according to the article half of the discrepancy can be directly attributed to the lull in construction caused by the recession, secondly the change as noted in above article (same as the OP quoted) tells us that there are 9,200 deaths in California annualy attributable to diesel particulates as opposed to 18,000 in the bad estimate. I don't know about you but I am not comfortable with 9 premature deaths annually linked to deisel particulate, let alone 9 thousand.

annabellelee

Answer by annabellelee at 1:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Having been through many of the other 48 continental United States.... I still prefer California, lovinangels. And as to "all" the tent cities? I do a LOT of driving and have only seen ONE in the three counties I cover. It's sort of like assuming the whole state has been shaken by an earthquake in Paso Robles, or that ALL of Texas was damaged in Hurricane Ike.

I have little doubt that AB 32 will wind up being suspended and revised in one way or another. It's too draconian. But the pollution is also ridiculous. I remember coming out of my station in San Bernardino one day and not being able to see the mountains because of the smog!

Not to mention the transit problems caused by all those trucks on the road. Some bright young engineer needs to come up with a more efficient way to move goods and services.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:09 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Personally (and yes, I live in CA) I couldn't care less. ANY amount of pollution is too much for me, and I really can't be upset about any measures taken to make the air cleaner. If things don't change, it WILL get worse and worse. Better to nip it in the bud sooner rather than later.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I did not open the link, but will tell you my perspective based on common sense.

I have lived all over CA- in the north, south, mountains, valleys and coast. When you can see that the air is brown, your lungs burn upon drawing a breath and your eyes water incessantly, you do not need an expert to verify that the air quality is poor or that the day will be deemed, "spare the air" by the officials. I have reactive airway disease with many triggers. As I runner, I need to be aware of when it is not safe for me to be exercising outdoors. It's common sense, no matter the %s reported. When you live it and breathe it, you know-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• While I support tough environmental standards I do prefer honesty and the truth in all things.

I agree with SisterAct tho, I live N of LA and when I have to drive into the city I start above the smog and drive right into it on my way down. When you can see and feel the smog in many areas it's obviously a serious issue. We'd be worse off here but in the desert we get lots of wind to blow it away.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Despite the insurance trying, you can not put on price tag on your life- If you do not have your health, nothing else matters. So cliche and so true.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I don't understand why people still live in CA, it's really expensive, you see all the tent cities, and now I hear the air burns your lungs?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I lived in Hollywood for a few years when I was modeling and hated it. The pollution, traffic, high crime, rude people and overpriced housing was more than enough reason to move away when my husband and I both ended our modeling careers. I don't think fudging about the numbers is right but something does need to be done about the pollution there. I was on allergy medication the entire time I lived there as soon as we moved back to the Midwest it cleared up and I have been allergy free. Would never raise a family there and put my kids health at risk. 

tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 2:27 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• So, why the need for the "green" lies and falsified data? This isn't the first time a government has relied on what has later been determined falsified data. I believe there is SOME truth the issue of pollution, but I can't understand why the need to lie to get the point across. And why people would defend the lying and billions of dollars cost to businesses who then, up their costs to the consumer.

There is a difference between falsified and incorrect. Even the adjusted estimates put the deaths related to diesel pollution alone at 9200 annually just in CA. Do you find that acceptable?
    annabellelee

Answer by annabellelee at 10:47 PM on Oct. 8, 2010