Why is it when you haven't seen someone (mainly other females) in a long time they always mention your weight?

Women always have to say right after "hello" "Oh, you look great!" Are you losing weight?" Seriously? Why can't we be more creative than that?

Queenofscrap

Asked by Queenofscrap at 12:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• I know! I really never say that because I think it's ridiculous. I will usually comment on shoes or the purse because most women I know enjoy having a nice purse and that's usually their one cool, expensive "thing".
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 12:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• icebreakers, no harm intended
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Most generally, I would say, because they are self-conscious (if it's a negative comment) and jealous (if it's a positive comment). that's been my experience. But, it can be no harm no foul type situation, too.
    Nathanswifey

Answer by Nathanswifey at 12:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Lol... I never thought about that. It happens to me a lot when i run into friends from school who dont know i have kids. Normally dtarts with, "wow Beck, you look exactly the same as you did at 17yrs old!" which is ofcorse a lie, im 25lbs heavier. But i always tell them, "well thanks! considering iv had 3 kids in 4yrs, my youngest being only 5 months old." That is normally fallowed by a *gasp* then "no way!" lol but i think its okay. I dont mind. I try not to comment on anyones weight, male or female, just because.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 12:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I never say that- I always just tell someone that they look great.
    I'm a great deal heavier than I was in high school, but I dress much better now.
    I talked to people and the told met hat they'd thought I'd lost weight since I looked so much better!
    how do you like that?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I never comment on anyone's weight unless they bring it up I definitely don't comment on it. I was over 200 pounds, and I know what it feels like to have people always having people comment on my weight. It made me very self conscious and I do not want to cause that type of discomfort to anyone. I will comment on a purse or something..
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Haha! I notice that too. And hopefully weight gain isn't the topic.
    ByronAidenMom

Answer by ByronAidenMom at 1:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• they don't mean to be rude but that is usually the first thing they look at
    beckybuck

Answer by beckybuck at 4:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2010