Do your kids live near their grandparents?

If they do, would you consider moving away? If they don't, do you regret it?

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 12:09 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids live near there grandparents and I love it. It makes it easier for them to visit and spend time with them. I wouldnt move away from them
    DBabyMomma

Answer by DBabyMomma at 12:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My mom lives 10 minutes away, my granny lives 7 minutes away, my MIL lives 20 minutes away, and my step MIL lives 30 minutes away. There are some months when my kids are with one grandparent or the other almost every other weekend, and everyone loves that time together.
    I could never move away.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• For now we live about 2 hours away from my father. Ironically enough, he's only come up here to visit them once while their other grandfather has driven up from TN 7 times since we have moved here.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:15 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• We live about 20 min away from my parents. Unfortunately, we live in Texas and my DH's parents live in S.C. So they hardly get to see them. But I don't think I could move away from my parents.
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 12:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My son has three sets of Grandparents and two of them live within 20 minutes. I wish the other set lived closer but we visit with them at least 6 times a year. He also has about 5 sets of Great Grandparents and they all live within 40 minutes.

We lived in a town 4 hours a way when my son was first born. It was nice that we got to establish ourselves as a "family of three" before involving other family members but I am so glad they are all able to watch him grow. :) Especially his Great Grandparents. He goes to Grandma and Grandpa's house about every other weekend for a day and it is so nice. We never pay for babysitters which is another plus.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• yeah my mom live about 5min away the inlaws live about 10min my grandma lives and his grandma lives about 20min away and i wouldn't have it any other way
    Paigesmommy78

Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I live 2 hours away from all of my family. I wish my mother lived closer, my kids adore her. But I never want to move back to my home town, my only option would be for her to retire and move here.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• No....I wish we did live closer...DH is in the army so we move often and it is never close to family....we are hoping that the next duty station is closer to one of them....I always feel bad that DS cant spend more time with our family.....he has only seen my mom 3 times...last time he saw her he was only 3 months old and he is 16 months now....DH's family is closer but it is still to far...it is a 14 hour drive and we never have the money to go out there so they would have to pay for it....and thats if DH can get time off work....The last time DH and I saw the family all together was last christmas....I have taken a trip to his family with out him for his sisters graduation...once again he could not get the time off work....and I will be going to see my family after thanksgiving...and DH cant get time off work...I grew up around my family...like down the street and I miss that and want that for DS so badly
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Not any more.  We used to live with my dad.  For most of the last 10 years (from 2000-2005 and from 07-this summer) we lived with him so the kids grew up with him.  They saw my in-laws every few months the first 5 years but after we moved to Pittsburgh in 05 we couldn't go back to see them any more.  They saw my mil like twice in the last 5 years.

Now we live 2000+ miles from both of them and won't be back to see them for a long while.  It's sad, but it's life.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I have both sides of this. My mother lives NEXT DOOR. It's a little crazy sometimes but I love it for the most part. She's so helpful to me and the kids absolutely love her. I couldn't see myself moving away from her. We get along great and the kids would be hurt.
    My dad on the other hand, lives in New Mexico. (We're in Ohio)
    I regret the fact that he doesn't get to see them and they don't really have a relationship with him. It's something that deinitely makes a diference in kids lives. They could learn so much.
    katimae

Answer by katimae at 1:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2010