Behavior in School

My son is in Kindergarten and has gotten a referral sent home already and they have been in school for about a couple of months. He got in trouble for kicking the assistant gym teacher, throwing temper tantrums in school. Well the reason for the referral being sent home for throwing rocks at a teacher who told him to get off the equipment. I would hate to have him checked for ADD/ADHD when sooo many children have been misdiagnosed. So, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mommy4105

Asked by mommy4105 at 12:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Talk with your son daily... There are also childrens books on manners in school and all that. My son also started kindergarten this year and has been having a couple of behavioral issues... It's important to remind them daily about using kind words and treating people how we want to be treated. I was actually faced with having to punish my son because last week was really rough... I don't spank him because I think it sends the wrong message, making him go to bed is a happy place and he just sleeps. So, I made him stare at the wall until bed time... He's been much more well behaved! I would certainly have my child checked out if I thought there were a chance it were ADD or ADHD but just try encouraging him daily and possibly offer some type of reward for good behavior as long as you explain you don't get something every time you're good :) good luck!
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Why do you think he would be misdiagnosed. What if he truly has a learning disability and it went undiagnosed and he continued to get in trouble when it could have been diagnosed and treated. By treatment I am not necessarily saying medication. Maybe he just needs to be approached and taught in a different way. Diagnosis does not have to be a bad thing.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Its not that I don't think that he will be. There has just been so much on the news with children being misdiagnosed and I was misdiagnosed as a child as well. I don't want to jack my kid up all on medications and then have all these problems later on....

I do talk to my son on a daily basis...ask him how school was and his response is usually "I don't know". I don't send him to bed...I did ground him from going to the skating party from school, due to him being naughty in school, he didn't get to to go to a school function. I just don't know what to do anymore...He throws major fits when you tell him no on something, also if he wants you to do something, you say ok, then he throws another fit for no reason....so then we tell him fine we won't do it or not he can't do it...then of course a bigger fit starts. I'm just lost anymore...
    mommy4105

Comment by mommy4105 (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2010