1) Is there something wrong with me for not crying when my 4 yr old son started school?2) How can I get info on Autism so I can better understand it.So I was just wondering if something is wrong with me or I am still in shock that the doctor diagnosed my son with mild Autism hope you can help me I feel like I am a bad mother.

Everyone has told me that I will cry when he started school but I didn't. I don't know if I am still in schock because of the diagnosis.

Need info on Autism so I can better understand it.

adrienna6

Asked by adrienna6 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• To the Autism part of your question, I highly suggest joining the group "Moms Helping Moms with Special Needs Children": http://www.cafemom.com/group/24297  There are a lot of women in this group who have children with Autism, and they are the greatest collection of women.  My son has Down Syndrome, and this is one of my favorite groups!

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I didn't cry when my kids started school. I couldn't wait, actually. They were so full of energy I was glad they could go burn it off somewhere else!!

I can't really help with the second question. Personally, I would start with Google.

Good luck!!
    Anonymous

• I was ecstatic when my kids started school! Mornings to myself, time to shower without 20 questions at the bathroom door, time to read and have my tea :) You're not a bad mom. Some moms cry, others don't. I wish I could give you info on Autism but I have no experience with that. I'm sorry for you and your son though. I can only imagine how hard it must be. And it is possible that you are in shock or grieving re the diagnosis. I know other moms on this site discuss their children with autism so I'm sure you'll find lots of support. Good luck.
    profmom922

Answer by profmom922 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• NO, you were probalby just comfortable with the situation.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 9:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Autism

Some kids with mild autism will grow up and be able to live on their own. ... Note: All information on KidsHealth is for educational purposes only. ...
    kidshealth.org/kid/health_problems/brain/autism.html
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• More Autism Information

More Autism Information. Back to Main Autistic Spectrum Page ... Are there forms of mild autism or pervasive developmental disorder? ...
    www.pediatricneurology.com/autismde.htm -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Autism Fact Sheet: National Institute of Neurological Disorders ...

These behaviors can range in impact from mild to disabling. The hallmark feature of autism .... NIH Publication No. 06-1877. Back to Autism Information Page ...
    www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/autism/detail_autism.htm
    vbruno

• Absolutly not. Especially if you are dealing with a child with special needs, and you just learned about it. This first few months is going to be totally consumed with you learning how to cope with this new aspect of your life. Before you just thought something wasn't right. Now you have a diagnosis. There is quite a shock, and grieving period. You are entitled to that. I know what it feels like to wonder what is going to happen next.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Next. You get strong. You start doing the research and figuring out what works for your son. You start a therapy program with him that you get through day by day, minute by minute.
    You cry. You laugh. You develop a support system. You yell at doctors and your spouse and sometimes your son and even yourself in the mirror. But you will survive. You will pull through and you will be your son's biggest advocate. But first things first. Make some tea and get through today. You are right to search for support. Online is great, real life is better. Your son needs a support group too to make friends. Good luck . HUGS.
    SusieD250

• What SusieD250 said it's soooooo true!!!! i went through the same thing and still going through it b/c that is life and we learn from it we just have to put the Boxing gloves on but with LOVE b/c with Love , support, and #1 FAITH on a higher power we will get by DAY by DAY.
    sooo your in the right place to get LOTS of Info on Autism.
    and I was soooooo happy to see my son go to school, HAY!!!! i'm still happy about it i wish thay have school on Sat and Sun sooo i can get my 8:30am and 3pm to my self Haaaaaaaa LOL!!!!!!!!
    AutismGoaway

Answer by AutismGoaway at 9:55 AM on Oct. 26, 2008