How do I explain death to my 3 year old DD?

My grandma is dying from complications from surgery and I dont know how to explain it to her and answer her questions.

princessTnBabyB

Asked by princessTnBabyB at 1:03 AM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• EXSPLAIN IT THE WAY THE BIBLE WOULD SHE MIGHT NOT UNDERSTAND IT NOW BUT AS SHE GROWS SHE LEARN TO EXCEPT IT AS A WAY OF LIFE.
    I DID SOME RESEARCH FOR YOU CHECK OUT THIS SITE. http://www.biblestudy.org/basicart/main2.html
    t_cutie_07

Answer by t_cutie_07 at 3:33 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• In my family it is not unusual for the children to be involved in all the services. My daughter went to her first wake at 1 1/2 of course she didn't really understand but now at 4 she has just been to her 4th wake and funeral and I explained to her that they are sleeping peacfully and they are going to sleep in heaven because God needs them now and they would be with other people they haven't seen in a long time. She seems to understand somewhat but I thought that was a nice way to explian it.
    momto1727

Answer by momto1727 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• One of our puppies died and I told them that Honey ate some poison and died and went to live in heaven with God. They were 3 years old then and now at 4 they still talk about Honey. I've had to repeat and answer a ton of questions, but I feel they should be told the truth as to how a 3 year old could accept and understand in their own way that the puppy would not be coming back. Our pastor also died and I explained to them that he died and went to heaven. I stayed away from saying he was sleeping because I didn't want their little brains to conjure up anything bad with going to sleep.
    tripsmom1

Answer by tripsmom1 at 6:14 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• tell her granny's going to be an angel watching over her from a place where she wont be sick or in pain anymore. i'm very sorry for your loss.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:52 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Just be honest and age appropriate. I know my dog doesn't compare to your grandmother, but when he died I was honest about it. I let them mourn him in their own ways and they are very well adjusted about death so when a family member passes, I'm sure they will be okay.

Grandmas are special people. I'm very close to mine. I'm very sorry this is happening to your family.
    mwebb

Answer by mwebb at 7:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2008