Children prayers

I don't want my son to grow up not knowing anything about God or religion like I did. I never stepped foot into a church until I was in my teens, because I Didn't know. I don't have a set religion as of now. But I want to teach my son to pray I want to teach him what I still have no idea about so we can learn together.

What is a prayer you say before bed, or befor eyou eat. Something simple he can learn to say himself. He's only 4 months right now but one day will be repeating the prayer with me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I prefer this one over the typical "If I should die before I wake" version

"Now I lay me down to sleep,
    I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
    And in the morning when I awake,
    help me Lord, the path of love to take."

flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• The Lords prayer. In my opinion, it is one of the best you can teach your child since it comes from the mouth of Jesus himself.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• here's another nice one:

Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John,
    Bless this bed that I lay on.
    Before I lay me down to sleep,
    I give my soul to Christ to keep.

Four corners to my bed,
    Four angels 'round my head,
    One to watch, one to pray,
    And two to bear my soul away.

I go by sea, I go by land,
    The Lord made me with his right hand,
    If any danger come to me,
    Sweet Jesus Christ, deliver me.

For he's the branch and I'm the flower,
    Pray God send me a happy hour,
    And if I die before I wake,
    I pray the Lord my soul to take.

*also changing the last 2 lines for the one posted above
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Dear Father in heaven look down from above,
    Bless Mommy and Daddy and those who I love.
    May angels watch over my slumber and when,
    The morning is breaking, awake me. Amen.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Jesus tender shepherd lead me
    bless thy little lamb tonight.
    Through the darkness be thou near me,
    keep me safe till morning light.

All this day thy hand has led me,
    and I thank thee for thy care.
    Thou hast warmed me, clothed me, fed me.
    Listen to my evening prayer.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I would not advice you to teach your son a prayer that he gets in a habit of saying. I would just tell him to talk to God. Tell him whatever he wants to tell him, you know? It will help your son develop of freindship with God. That is our goal...to be on God side..be his freind. Atleast in a small childs eyes it could be put that way. LOL But yes, I think you are doing great wanting to teach him, however, teach him to just open up to God and let it all out...anything he wants. Even if he wants to pray for the frog he found in his pocket.

Such a sweet boy already I can tell. My son is 6 and loves Jehovah with all of his heart. I love that! Good luck and God bless you for teaching your child.
    Anonymous

• Oh and one more idea. Be the example for your son. Let him hear how you talk to God. Maybe you can pray with him once every now and again so you can remind him what sort of things you can say or what kinds of ideas he can think of to talk about to his new freind, God.
    Anonymous

• Have him "write a letter" to God, and then read it to him. Or draw a picture, and tell God about what he drew. If you can get him to have "conversations" with God now, he'll grow to talk to him everyday. That's what I plan on doing with my daughter. It's wayy more simple than memorizing a prayer, and to me, way more natural.
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 10:23 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My kids are 2, 4, and 5 and they say what's on their mind and in their heart. They thank God for things they're happy about, pray for others, and say sorry for things they may have done that weren't so good. We don't have them memorize anything...we don't want it to become just a bunch of "words" to them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• If you don't want him to know anything about god why do you want him to pray? Or did I miss something?

You souldn't be reciting prayers anyways... you should just talk to your god as if he were your friend and father...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:40 PM on Oct. 25, 2008