ABC's

Do you have a creative way to teach your kids the abc's?

hobbitswife04

Asked by hobbitswife04 at 1:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Read to your kid. Label things in your house. Point out letters around town when you are out.

Don't teach the ABC song, it really doesn't help. Concentrate on reading to them over teaching them letter shape and sound. They can learn that later.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Leapfrog helped my son and I
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• starfall.com
    pbskids.org
    google the letter you want to teach and activities for it. we did print outs, activities, arts and crafts
    and i also bought her the leap frof alphabet fridge magnets
    thats how she learn them
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• There's an app on my phone that is pretty much ABC flash cards. Ryder LOVES playing with it. It speaks and tells him words that start with the letters.
    Also at his daycare they "punch" the ABC's to get energy out. With each punch they shout a letter. A!! B!! C!!!
    It's cute.
    katimae

Answer by katimae at 1:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I'm not sure how creative it is, but he learned really fast from drawing them with sidewalk chalk, from watching youtube videos, going on sesamestreet.org and playing the Elmo ABC game, from his leapfrog fridge thing, and from flashcards.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I just sang the abc's all the time and read to them a lot. Then I went to like walmart or any other book store and just got those little work books. My little girl was so eager to learn to write her name and people in the families.
    lilma0608

Answer by lilma0608 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Starfall.com is amazing!!!! Also, just reading to your child and pointing out letters, sounding out words and letters. Showing how letters form words and words form sentences and stories.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• read, read, read! I had the leapfrog letter magnets and letter factory dvd. Pointing out letters in print everywhere you go. My DS knew all his letters and sounds before 2
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• read to the baby or buy the abc puzzle that does the sound or the leap frog abc
    my daughter learn it that way
    she know her abcs and she sings it
    sing the abcs is not bad idea either
    books, toys
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 12:28 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• we do flash cards mostly, they seem to help. One side has the letters only, the other has a picture with an object of that letter.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:57 PM on Oct. 9, 2010