Are blood clots normal when on your period?

I am now 27. For the past year I have noticed that when I am LATE I usually start bleeding AFTER I pee out (or wipe myself ) a blood clot...big one(s). Then I am on doing the normal bleeding.

Is that normal? Are clots normal? What should I expect in my older age...well not older age, but when I near my thirties?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Health

• I've had rough and heavy periods ever since I started them at 12. I've always clotted and they have always been heavy. Mine usually last for 7 days. The first part starting off very heavy, then slacking down at least a little near the 7th day. For me it's normal. Also, my OBGYN said my uterus was a bit enlarged, bigger than most, so maybe that's the reason my periods are so heavy.

But yeah, this is normal, but it never hurts to talk to your Dr either. Get it checked out and ease your mind.
    LisaAC

Answer by LisaAC at 9:54 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• As you get older, it happens more. Or that is what my OB doctor told me. I am 41 and it is common for me now. Didn't get that until mid thirties.
    amanda67

Answer by amanda67 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• my doctor told me it is normal but if they get bigger than like a nickle then to get it checked out
    burtney0921

Answer by burtney0921 at 10:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I'm 35. I've had clots for about six years. If they get to be quarter size, see your doc right away. My aunt was diagnosed with endometriosis (sp?) She passed on that info to me. She would get so bloated at that time of the month that she looked almost pregnant. See you're doc if you get those symtoms.
    Anonymous