How long does an uncontested divorce take?

We are filing Tuesday.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm pretty sure it's different by state, but ours was a year.... This was in CA.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:11 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I as told off he Go that it would only take 6-8 weeks. That was with XH living in another state and mailing papers back and forth. Turns out I hired a sucky lawyer who didn't file papers until I called her 3 times and generally was uber slow at everything. I filed Feb.2 and was granted divorce on August 2nd. NO 6-8 weeks, but 6 months in my case.
    katimae

Answer by katimae at 1:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• IT depends. In our state (N.C) You have to be apart for a year before you can even file divorce. It took my hubby & his wife's from Nov to april/may...... *of course after they were legally separated for a year.*
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 1:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Depends on the state. Google your state marital/divorce laws.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• It also depends on if there is property and children involved. Mine had neither one involved and only took about 8 months but it was slowed down because he couldn't get served with the papers at first. I live in FL.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• In WI there is a mandatory time from the date you file till you can be granted a divorce, but every state is differeint. Look up your state laws. A google seach should get you to the right place.
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• A little of both,Take a deep breath and smile!!
    Doodle79

Answer by Doodle79 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Can take anywhere from 8-14 months in my state (MA). I filed in March, had temporary orders court date on May 20 and we are going to court this month on the 20th.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 4:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• 6 months for me
    Inheritingkids

Answer by Inheritingkids at 5:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2010