How do you define "liberal" and "conservative"?

On CM, people throw the words "liberal" and "conservative" all the time. What do you actually mean when you call something or someone "liberal"? What do you mean when you call something or someone "conservative"?

Groovyflor

Asked by Groovyflor at 10:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• conservatives go with what everyone else says and stick to things that are already in place.

liberals can think for themselves.

Anonymous

• I thought that conservatives wanted to stay close to the constitution as written and liberals were more for a liberal interpretation. Also...conservatives usually want less federal controls and more state controls while liberals want more federal control. BTW, this is what I learned as the text book definition, but I don't think that's the way it plays out in our current day.
    profmom922

Answer by profmom922 at 10:35 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Anon = Ignorant.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• conservatives go with what everyone else says and stick to things that are already in place. as well as judging everyone else, calling pwople who question the government unpatriotic, and have a me me all about me mentality, try to impose their views on others.

liberals can think for themselves, are caring, non-judgemental, don't mind sharing, fight for the bills of rights and let people make their own choices.
    Anonymous

• Keep going Anon., you're sounding more ridiculous by the second. You're making some whopper generalizations.....tsk tsk.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:08 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• duster mom and you are sounding more judgenmental by the second. attacking and trying to silence me..
    Anonymous

• CONSERVATIVES - believe in personal responsibility, limited government, free markets, individual liberty, traditional American values and a strong national defense. Believe the role of government should be to provide people the freedom necessary to pursue their own goals.

Conservative policies generally emphasize empowerment of the individual to solve problems.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• LIBERALS - believe in governmental action to achieve equal opportunity and equality for all, and that it is the duty of the State to alleviate social ills and to protect civil liberties and individual and human rights. Believe the role of the government should be to guarantee that no one is in need. Believe that people are basically good.

Liberal policies generally emphasize the need for the government to solve people's problems.
    DusterMommy

• Pardon?   I am being judgmental?  You had nothing of any value to contribute to this question - you were spewing out your opinions by way of generalizations.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• yes you are why can't you just asnwer the question without attacking me? you know there is such thing as freedom of speech. oh never mind conservatives try to take that away from anyone who doesn't agree with them.

limited government & to protect civil liberties = how by spying on people wire typing? etc. how is any of that limited government?

raditional American values= only if those values are racism and hate.
    Anonymous