Was the experience of the 3D Ultra Sound worth the money to you?

I've had people tell me that it was a little scarey and others say it was the most amazing thing they have experienced. So did you think the cost was worth it or is it better to just wait and see the baby when he/she gets here?

mrs_hartline

Asked by mrs_hartline at 1:04 AM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I am an ultrasound tech. What the media doesn't tell you about 3D and 4D ultrasound is they are best done after 28 weeks and it can be very difficult to get a pretty picture. The baby has to be face up with plenty of amniotic fluid in front of the face and it works best on patient that have less tissue to go through to get to the baby. I do think if medically the baby proves to have a defect on a standard 2D ultrasound then 3&4D ultrasound could further the evaluation of the defect. I would caution only having a 3&4D ultrasound done for fun unless you know your baby is in the best possible position and you have cash burning a hole in you pocket. Otherwise spend the money on something to help you when the baby is here. If you happen to go for and ultrasound in the late 2 or in the 3rd term for another reason ask the tech if the baby would be in a good position of a 3d picture. Good luck
    wildboys0234

Answer by wildboys0234 at 1:28 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• i think is a great time! but wait until u get to the 27weeks :)
    kiUmY

Answer by kiUmY at 2:28 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• We got very lucky. Our neighbor is an ultrasound tech so we get as many as we want for free. I got the first one at about 23 weeks and she was so cute and tiny. We could see her features, but she almost looked like a baby squirrel. We went back at 28 weeks and there was a HUGE difference. Her face and baby had filled out so much. I know when you pay for the ultrasounds you only get a limited amount of time and sometimes the baby isn't cooperative. Our neighbor did ours for 2 hours so we got TONS of pictures and footage. If it's free I'd say go for it, but my sister-in-law got one and said it wasn't worth the money to her. I would agree with others and say if you do have one done, wait until at least 27 weeks. :o)
    MirandaMCL

Answer by MirandaMCL at 5:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Unless there is a risk of deformaties I wouldn't do it. It's like unwrapping a gift before you were supposed to, it ruins the suprise. We are able to find out so much before the baby is born, don't you want to save that? I bet it is a wonderful experience to see your baby ASAP, but I think it is probably better to wait. Not to mention you could take that $70-$100 dollors and buy something really nice for the nursery. Hope this helped give your perspective :)
    Saria87

Answer by Saria87 at 3:24 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I think it is totally worth it. I have had regular ultra sounds with my 2 daughters before 3D existed. We had the 3D done when I was pregnant with my son who just turned one and we plan on having it done again with this one. Just research the facility you are going to use. The place we had ours done took their time answered out questions let us bring as many people as we wanted. Let us bring a VHS tape in and the machine recorded it to the VHS and we also got it all on a DVD as well. It was an amazing experience. I smiled all day and my girls couldn't stop talking about it. We have looked at the pictures on DVD several times since as well. It's a wonderful keepsake!!
    aimhighschool

Answer by aimhighschool at 11:29 AM on Jul. 8, 2008