When is and good time to begin potty trainging & how do I start a routine?

She is to the point now where she tells us when she has gone #2 and asks to be changed.."mommy change my butt" is what I being told now a days.

mommyjcc

Asked by mommyjcc at 10:35 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I thought it to be a good time when my son started telling me when he needed his diaper changed.
    christy_marie46

Answer by christy_marie46 at 10:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Two of my daughters would go hide to poop. It would suddenly get quiet and I would find them hiding behind a door or something to go (still in their diapers, of course). Took it as a sign and whenever they tried to wander off like that I took them to the potty.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 11:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I started all 3 of my kids at 18 months in those pull up s that get cold. by age 2 they would wear underwear or panties (for my girl) after that it would usually take a lot of patience and consistancy-ever 15-20 min asking them to sit on the potty, sometimes they would go sometimes they wouldn't. Good luck and feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
    Cyndi310

Answer by Cyndi310 at 11:05 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My son is 22 months and we started by having him sit on the potty before bed and first thing in the morning. This started when he started wanting to go with us every time we had to go to the bathroom. He also started telling us occasionally when he had to go or had gone in his diaper.

Another trick that worked with him came from a mom on another site - when he sits on the potty and isn't going, try pouring lukewarm water down his belly from his belly button into the potty. Usually after one cup he is peeing. Then he gets to celebrate going in the potty. At first he was more willing to sit on the potty because he liked the warm water...later because he liked being able to go to the bathroom on the potty!

We are still working on him being willing all the time and he won't poop on the potty yet.
    JonahsMom1221

Answer by JonahsMom1221 at 12:25 AM on Oct. 26, 2008