Bullying

Who was bullied as a child? I was. Did it stick with you? those MEMORIES, feelings as an adult? in some case its a yes with me.... in certain situations. Has your child gone through this? If so , what steps did you take to try & solve this horrible issue. BULLYING NEEDS TO STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was teased about my looks, and yes it carried with me into adulthood. It still does but my counseling is helping. I never felt good enough, smart enough or pretty enough. I had plastic surgery to improve my looks and that still doesn't help me, I use to play stupid a lot because I was afraid if I said something wrong that people would think I was stupid, so I just beat myself up first, and I never felt like I deserved any more than I got. I let boys use me thinking they would fall in love with me, but that just made things worse. Words hurt and carry scars. I've been fortunate that my boys haven't had to endure these kinds of things. My older son had a couple issues but stood up for himself and beat up both boys on the playground at the same time in 5th grade (not the best way to handle it but it worked). I haven't seen this with my younger son yet.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Yes, it needs to stop, I was never a victim.

Answer by older at 1:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Yes, and yes it continues to sometimes bug me but for the most part I am over it. The picked on my looks and occasionally when I don't feel like I look "pretty" those memories come back. I was never physically picked on though.
    My husband on the other hand is a "nerd" he has always looked like a nerd, it's who he is (but I love him for it) but he was bullied, beaten up, shoved in lockers, pinned to the ground and punched, kicked. His mom got tired of it and the school wasn't going anything so want to know what she did? She got a restraining order against all of the bullies and a couple had to leave the school and the rest had to be escorted from class to class to keep them from bumping into him. And yes it stays on their record but if they are going to physically harm someone, than they need to be treated as a threat and be punished for it. And yes, if my kids are bullied to that extreme (cont)
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• (cont) where they are physically being harmed and the school is looking the other way, I will seek charges and restraining orders I will do what ever I can to protect my future children. Picking on someone is one thing, but beating them up and causing physical harm is COMPLETELY different.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I was until I dropped out of school! Ironically I am here also just like in grade school. Funny I go to a site with adults and I;m back in 2nd grade. Anyway it needs to stop before more children loose their education like I did or loose their lives like these poor kids!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I was bullied from about kindergarten until 7th grade by one girl. This girl would push me, knock me down, knock my books and things out of my hands, threaten me and call me all sorts of names. It went on for years, and then one day in 7th grade, she knocked my books out of my hands and I started crying. That actually happened quite a bit, but this time the assistant principal was walking by at that particular moment, saw what happened, and made us go to the office. He told her "I don't know how this started. Maybe she took the purple crayon in kindergarten and you wanted it, but that's no reason to be mean to her now." Then he told me to basically toughen up and ignore it. After that, the most she would do was glare at me.

I was also picked on by another girl for about a week in 3rd grade, but this girl was mean to everyone.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 2:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Some intense answers ladies. I feel for you and have gone through similar things you did as a little kid. It's a very sensitive topic for me and if anyone hurts my kids or does this to them in the future - watch out, zero tolerance from me. Feel for you all, something good to talk about I think.
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2010