KINDERGARTEN

is going to be full time where I live in Canada. I am not thrilled about it as I find it will be too long of a day for my daughter right away, we'll see. What am I to expect in Kindergarten? when parents pick-up their children are kids to remain in class until parents show up? Is there still nap time?

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am in canada too, and my kids school has started full days for k this year. My ds is in k, and is doing fine! he didnt go to preschool, and was at home with me alot. He did do soccer and swimming lessons, had an older sister and is very friendly and outgoing, and well behaved. They dont do any more work than a normal k would do in half day, they just have longer to do each activity. Ds's class is a K/1 splt though, so he may get a bit less play time than the k classes. The ks' are doing a cooking program(having thanksgiving dinner at school today actualy) do computer, library, gym, etc. They have lunch and 2 recesses. No nap time, just quiet time where they play with something quietly for a bit. At the end of the day he is still able to play and isnt a grouch or anything, but he does go to sleep very fast!
    I think it is good, at first I wasnt so sure, but he is loving it and having fun!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• All that would depend on the school.  My middle 2 kids went to all day kindergarten.  At their school it was 7:50am-2:20pm.  There was no nap time.  They had lots of free play time (their class room looked like a toy store exploded in there).  It was a small school so pick-up was the same as for all the other grades.  At the end of the day the teachers walked the classes out to the parking lot where the parents were waiting.  You waved to the teacher and then your child ran to wherever you were standing.

Next year my youngest dd starts kindy and goes 2 full days and 1 1/2 day a week.  Full days are 9am-3:30pm (my kids get on the bus at 8:25am and get home around 4pm or 1pm on half days).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My son started out with full days and adjusted really well. They had a good bit of down time and had a rest time as well. They were really careful about dismissal to parents at the end of the day and things went really well.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• i dnt know the standards in Canada gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:00 AM on Oct. 9, 2010