Cell Phones

does your child have one? how old are they? it seems to be the "norm" these days and if you don't have one you are teased or not as cool. I think its a good idea ONLY for the fact of being able to contact them at any time vice-versa. How young is to young to have one??

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DD is 17, but she's had a cell phone since she was 12 because she was a "latch key" kid who had to walk quite a way to & from school each day. Try to find a pay phone now days. I must say, it started a great trend in teaching her responsibility by monitoring her minutes, limiting her use, etc. I didn't let her get texting until she was 15, though, and we got a great deal on a package.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 2:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• my kids are only 4 and 1 but when they get aoround 10 or so i'll get them one of those that i can be in full control of
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I did not allow my son to have a cell phone until he began driving, I felt that there was no other reason that he needed one prior to that. As an educator, cell phones are causing huge issues in school systems across the country. Even though our students are not supposed to have them at school they bring them anyway and the number one person (s) to call or text them at school is their parents.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 1:59 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• They do not have them. They will not have them until they can pay for them.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 1:59 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I promised mine one when she starts middle school...that'll be next year.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My kids are 17, 10 and 8 and don't have one. We as a family don't have cell phones and if my children do want one, then can get a job when they hit working age and pay for it themselves. I don't find them necessary what so ever and in fact, blame them for the dumbing down of America- people can't even take a crap without texting- it's annoying as hell. Also, I see no reason that a child should have one just to be able to contact a parent- a young child should always have a parent or guardian with them.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• we gave our 8 and 9 year old kids a cell phone to see how it would be. the 8 year old would always loose it and the 9 year old was sending pictures of her self (not in a nasty way just throwing peace and such) and texting. we just did not think it was right so we took both of there phones away i think they just did not need them at all. If they were in sports or school events i would just keep one handy just in case I would need to let them use it so i can get ahold of them. When i was younger I did not have a phone and there was no problems at all so I really don't think it is a necessity  for them.

mpactem

Answer by mpactem at 2:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• age 7, firefly kids safety phone
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 5:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2010