Anyone have to push for a very long time?

With my son I had to push for a little over 4 hours...I was exhausted but was able to finally get him out at 7:12 AM...anyone else experience pushing for this long? Should I expect this next time around too?

He was only 6 lbs 4 oz and 19.5 inches and he was "sunny side up"...

stephanieplante

Asked by stephanieplante at 1:56 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• 2 hours with my first (I later learned it was my own fault... induced, reclined, coached pushing, etc.).

And barely a few minutes with the second~ *I* didn't really push, it was more like trying to keep her from coming too quickly (opposite scenario as with the 1st).

Baby's position and Mom's position can factor in greatly!
    Try to encourage "optimal fetal positioning" late in labor, and be sure to work to remain upright and moving, unhindered-untethered through labor.
    There are many things you can do, a doula will help, too!!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:06 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• you should never have to push for this long and it's horrible that doctors make women do this. just because you are 10 cm does not mean you are ready to push. your body tells you when to push and thats when you get that urge that you just have to. if you are 10 cm and do not feel that urge then you are not ready and should be laboring down (sitting upright and breathing the baby into the birth canal...this is why i much prefer midwives because they understand this
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Once you are pregnant you can dive further into investigating, but starting now is great, too!
    There are some ways to help prevent a posterior baby and ways to deal with one in labor.
    You can look for a free doula or whatever you want, that can really help!
    Yes there are things you can do to help get the baby out and make pushing shorter, a doula *is* one way, lol!
    ;-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:15 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Doulas do their job because they want Women to have happy-healthy birth experiences. Most will offer sliding-scale discounts and free services, just ask!
    So they help moms to understand their options prenatally, and then in labor, the doula helps the mom to work for the birth she wants. It's more achievable with her help-support-advocacy! :-)

Yes, hindering whatever you need to do in Your birth can absolutely affect the outcome. The "sit down and be quiet" route is used for the convenience of the staff, no one else.
    :-(
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Some insurance companies are infact covering Doulas now! The Doula can send you an invoice and you can send in a claim to your insurance.

To answer your questions,
    I have never pushed longer then 30 minutes but I know most women do push for 2 - 4 hours with their first baby. On future pregnancies, your body is like a ballon and remembers that stretch and thus opens faster, so you should have a shorter pushing time.
    Again like Doulala said, your position and baby's position will factor greatly in the time it takes to push!

Good Luck.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• i pushed for about 3 hours with my dd but with my sun it was only 15 minutes GOOD LUCK
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• lol i meant son i was thinking about your "sunny side up"
    josiesmommy00

• haha I'm not pregnant yet- at least I dont think- but I worry immesely about this for next time. It was a long- frustrating, horrible 4 hours lol
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• 5 1/2 hours! Eventually ended up in a c-section, cuz she got stuck. I have CPD? (Small pelvis) she was 6lbs 11oz and 21 inches long.

It was a nightmare, and my hair was all messed up! I couldn't take a shower for like 2 days. :)
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I was induced and I only pushed for about 15 minutes. I was exhausted and didn't think I could go another 5 minutes! I cannot image 4 hours or more! OMG! I would have given up and begged for a C-section. Just kidding, LOL! God Bless ya!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:04 PM on Oct. 8, 2010