would you rather spend your whole paycheck on daycare, or SAH til your kids start school?

assuming that you have more than 1, they're young and your paycheck would cost the same if not LESS than daycare.

no need to bash or criticize, just a would you rather and why?

im asking because i face this decision everyday and i'm torn. deep down i now staying at home is more practical but i feel for my husband who works like a dog and doesn't see much of his paycheck.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in

• I owned a daycare. I watched moms drop their children off in the morning and pick them up when the sun went down. They were so tired they had just enough energy to get home, throw a dinner together, bath them and into bed. No much of a relationship at a time when a child needs to bond with you. I had parents who were mad because they didn't want to leave. I had cared, loved, and encouraged them all day. I hugged them and kissed their hurts away.... I felt bad because the parent were missing the most important years of their children's lives. They'll never recapture them or have memories from being at work! I vote Stay At Home Mom! and enjoy every moment with that little one God gave you!

Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 11:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• It depends on the job. If you are receiving benefits, that's certainly something to consider in addition to salary. Also, depending on the position, you could be building a career - also something to consider. Daycare is really expensive at first, then gets less expensive as the children grow up, if it's a good job with a good company it may be worth it to have a few rough years.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• That is our position now. i stay home because I would much rather do that than just pay someoen else to raise my kids. My hubby's job provides the health insurance and enough money to live..if I worked it would just be fore extra money but there is no point if there is no extra money. I plan to go to work when my daughter starts pre-k next fall.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• to work for nothing? nah, I'll just stay home and watch em grow and develop a bond
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• If I was only working to pay for day care, what would be the point of working?? I wouldn't want to be a full time SAHM but I'd rather do that then work just to pay for day care.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• If I was spending all of my paycheck on a sitter, I think I woud stay home. It never crossed my mind that I would stay home I never considered it.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• If you are literally spending your entire paycheck on daycare, then you are working to pay the daycare. That is assuming you have not one dime, not once cent to your name after payday and you haven't spent ANYTHING AT ALL on anything else... then that is the single dumbest question ever asked. You would be spending money to buy gas to get to work which would result in a loss monthly. If you are over exaggerating and you DO have money left over after being paid and don't splurge on BS, then I would choose work.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Personally for me working a part-time job keeps me grounded and I get the best of both worlds!!
    Doodle79

Answer by Doodle79 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• i chose to SAH and will after our next one is born. i feel bad too sometimes, but there'd be no point to working for no extra income. so im working on my masters while SAH. and then DH will get to SAH while he works on his masters...years from now haha.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I am have chosen to stay home. My husband and I made this decision together. It is what works for our family.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 1:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

Next question in
Formal or casual?

Next question overall (Trying to Conceive)
Any moms of 2 ttc #3?