How far do your children have to walk to school ( if they walk )?

Because of school bus boundaries changing this school year, and cut backs... my son has to walk to school. (If I had had the several million $$ laying in the bank... to keep the buses, Id have helped keep ALL the buses needed, its too dangerous for kids to walk these roads! )

It's almost a 2.5 mile walk along a VERY busy street. He's in first grade, friends in the area here in his grade and higher and its rare he ever HAS to walk ( I drive him and pick him up or carpool with another parent ) But its rare when he has to walk. And me and another Mom walk to get our kids or a family member walks to get him for me if I cant.

But what are the limits where you are?

With all the abductions that go on, it's dangerous for kids to walk alone. When he has to walk he has an adult with him as do our friends here, but the law should change, no child should have to walk 2.5 miles to a school.

LilyPondOasis

Asked by LilyPondOasis at 1:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my brother has to walk to school. Its almost 3 miles along a VERY busy road. He is in high school though.
    mandapanda942

Answer by mandapanda942 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Also the kids in a few subdivions across the road dont go to our school. They get bused to different schools.

And the high schoolers and middle schoolers get bused, just not the elementary students on our side within the 2.5 miles!
    LilyPondOasis

Comment by LilyPondOasis (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I would never let my DD's walk to school, thats crazy.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 2:09 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• We walked about a 1/2 mile between K-3rd grade.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My son is walked to school everyday. But we only live 2 blocks away from his school. The school may be shut down next year too due to cuts
    haydall

Answer by haydall at 2:11 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Last year my kids walked themselves to school for half the year.  It was 3 1/2 blocks (about 1/4 mile, I guess).  They were in 1st, 2nd and 4th grades.

Now they take the bus and the stop is a block or so away and they walk themselves to and from the bus stop just like all the other kids in the neighborhood.  If they miss the bus they have to walk because my husband has the car at work (sometimes).  It's almost 2 miles to their school.  Most likely I would walk them half way and then they can walk the last mile on their own (straight down one street).  They are in 2nd, 3rd and 5th grades this year.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• We live a mile from the school, up until middle school my kids rode the bus. (The cut off for middle school is 2 miles, I believe it's the same for high school). I think that our elementary cut off is 1/2 mile, but I could be wrong.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• CORRECTION! It's within 2 miles children are to walk to shool.

Bus transportation is provided to all students who live more than 2 miles from their school. 1.5 miles is identified as a reasonable walking distance to a bus route for students who are eligible to ride a school bus. Please be aware that the County School Board policy is in compliance with what is required by state law. State law establishes a two mile limit before transportation is provided.

Sad how older kids have to walk up to 3 miles to catch a bus as mandapanda942 wrote...
    LilyPondOasis

Comment by LilyPondOasis (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• my son walks to the school pick up location with his friends which is only two blocks away. Plus, he has a cellphone on him just in case.
    pinkdragon6987

Answer by pinkdragon6987 at 5:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• (WHERE WE ARE MOVING>>>>) Just a couple blocks...all the schools are within 2 mile radius....we have no buses
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 10:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2010