HOw much homework does your 1st grader have?

Last night my son did 30 problems, 6 word problems and had to write a text to self connection(3-5 sentences) after reading a book. It took us an two and half hours with all the arguing and melt-downs. Asperger's aside isn't this a bit much for a 6 year old? I mean I don't like homework anyway so I have no basis of comparison. Monday he has to write 10 sentences and do a math work sheet with 20 problems. (We get a weekly calendar of assignments) Weekends he just has to read for 20 min a day. No biggy there we do that anyway!

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 2:15 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in

• To me it sound like way too much. Please check your district's home work policy... and whether its HW or home learning etc.
    some teachers are maybe over ambitious about how much a student can do in a reasonable amt of time. my first grader has 10 spelling words he has to write 3x's on mon. and then do various assignments including sen. (1/2 and 1/2) during the week, 2 pp of math (pretty simple I've never seen over 10 prob. a page and many have 3), read 30 min. and 1x weekly do a "book report" on story (draw a picture or write about their fav. character/scene etc. just a couple of sentences). Study for Scienc/SS test usually on Thurs.

And well that's the WHOLE WEEK.
    I've tutuored students w/as much HW as your ds in 1st grade.... the school ended up having to allow students to transfer b/c they were not meeting AYP... some think more/harder means better quality... it doesn't it means ignorance of child dev. and frustrati
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:32 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• To much for a 1st grader
    Romilda

Answer by Romilda at 2:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My girls never had that much homework. Even my 3rd grader does not have homework that lasts over 30 mins worth. As for the first grader is was the same as when my oldest was in first grade. Monday study spelling words, tuesday write 3 sentences, wed read her reader and restudy spelling words, thursn is ready a couple of sentences, and then get ready for her spelling test on friday. So not much homework.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I think its getting a little crazy with all the homework these kids are bringing home I wonder what they are doing in the classroom allday
    Romilda

Answer by Romilda at 2:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• She has a work sheet with about 4 or 5 questions. Then she has 2 books to read.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My son gets a packet at the beginning of the week and has to turn it in on Friday. It is usually, 5-7 pages. It is done on Monday and Wednesday.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• That sounds like a lot. My 1st grader gets just a few minutes worth per evening, plus a list of 10 spelling words to learn by the end of the week. So we spend maybe 15 minutes on the assignment, and maybe another 10 or 15 doing an activity involving the spelling words. Maybe you should let the teacher know how long it's taking your child to complete the assignments and ask her if this is "normal". I know some teachers give more homework than others, but what you described does sound a bit over the top if she consistently assigns that much.
    Good luck.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:04 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• OP that seems like way too much. I taught first grade last year and would never put that work load on the kids. They took spelling lists home on Monday, and were asked to study those, along with sight words, a little each night. Every Wednesday they took their reading books home and were asked to read the story of the week with an adult. On TU and TH they would have 1 math worksheet. If there was ever something that didn't get done in class, I may have sent it home.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:49 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• she gets a homework pack every Monday and has till Friday to turn it in also reading every night and study her spelling and vocabulary words...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 4:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• our first grader has to read 3 beginner reader booklets that they send home with them a week and i have to sign a paper to show she read to me thats all
    RobinEsMommy

Answer by RobinEsMommy at 5:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2010