Do you think it's right to force your kid to go to church if they made it clear they don't want to go?

If they tell you they don't believe in anything they preach or teach so they don't want to go. Is it right to force them?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 2:15 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Never. In the end it will only create a bigger backlash.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• If they are old enough to express this and discuss it, then no I wouldn't make them go.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Nope, and I'm so glad my parents never forced me.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• And also when is it freedom of religion? When the parents shove their beliefs down the kid's throat or when the kid decides for themsleves what their faith should be?
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• how old are they?
    i'm not going to force my children to go to church but i hope they choose to when they're older but if not i can't make that decision for them
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• When they are old enough/mature enough to have a true opinion AND be able to explain it and not just trying to 'get out of it' then yes we can talk about that.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My mom always forced my brothers and I to go even though we made it clear to her we didn't want to because we didn't believe in it. Even now she still tries to force me to go. More like guilt me into going, but same thing.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Yes. I love religious freedom but we (Me and SO) have a responsibility. We must lead by example.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Well, it depends. Is it reasonable to expect a parent to pay for a babysitter because the child doesn't want to do something? No. it's not. So the kid can pack up a book or something and sit politely and obey their parents wishes. If we are talking about someone who is almost grown and can stay home alone without costing the parents extra money and stress, then no, I don't believe they should be forced to go.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Well yeah if the kid is a kid than they have no choice. They can bitch and moan about it all they want. But when they do get to that age (and it can be any age) where they realize they don't believe in it and would rather not go anymore, I don't think they should be forced to go.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2010