Today I brought my 15 month old to the supermarket. When I was trying to put her in her car seat she was arching her back kicking and screaming basically throwing a fit. I was embarassed... A woman was waiting to get in her car for 20 minutes while I tried to get my daughter to come down... How do u handle a situation like this?

TaylorBuz

Asked by TaylorBuz at 10:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would have grabbed daughter and shut the door and moved out of the way so the woman could leave.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I would have done the same thing that flutterfae said. Forget about calming your child down. Just get her in the car seat even if you need to fight to do so and get going.

When kids start to throw a tantrum like that I completely ignore it. I don't even talk I just grab the kid and go and tune it out until they stop because it is not getting them anywhere.

Sorry but if I were the lady waiting, I would have been furious.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 10:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Just be patient. And use a calming voice. It Doesn't always work.... Tantrums are usually something that you can't stop form coming... Sometimes you can... I make it into a game when my 14 month old starts fighting the carseat. she arches her back too n kicks n screams like she jsut got shot. It honestly doesn't always work, but someitmes it does. And I never care if people around me get mad or impatient. Our kids are more important, and they can deal.
    shadysyrup313

Answer by shadysyrup313 at 10:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I agree with shadysyrup313 she is right you have to have patients... we have to put our children first.... they are what is important and if others get mad let them you are a mom first and people will understand that most of the time... if people don't understand so what you take care of the baby first..... rub her leggs and tummy that worked with my kids most of the time and tell her in an nice clam voice that we are going bye bye and you can get out soon she will focuse on your voice and forget about being mad or unhappy..... so momma just take it easy and just breath...
    homextownxgirl

Answer by homextownxgirl at 11:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Yea I would of put my son in the car and drove off. A lot of times he gets calmer in the car anyway.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 12:58 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• distract her with something-- let her hold a toy or book while you strap her in. It worked with my daughter, but our car was a mess from all her toys. You need a few handy cuz the same toy won't work everytime.

But next time, maybe shut the door and let the other person leave if you know there will be a lengthy struggle. Youll be fighting her for a little while to strap her in anyway, what's another 30 seconds to let someone pass. Good luck with your little one.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 1:00 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• When my daughter acts this way I give her something like a toy or whatever I have in the car that will help distract her, she has her own set of keys that are great to occupy her. I would let the lady through though because it is embarrassing but you know all kids act up and Im sure the lady probably understood.
    madalynnsmomi

Answer by madalynnsmomi at 3:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2008