Did your mother stay at home when you were growing up?

I am just wondering b/c it never crossed my mind that I could/would stay home after I had kids. My mom could not stay home, she was a single mom to 4 kid, worked 1 full time and 2 part time jobs and also got her master's degree when I was growing up. I don't think I had any friends whos parents stayed home, what about everyone else?

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 2:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, my mom worked and went to school..
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My mother did~~but I'm 57 and things were a whole lot different then LOL
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 2:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• no, she worked nights and my dad was home with us for a while (well me b/c i was the only one not in school) and while she slept my dad would take me to the park or go outside with me so mom could rest but after i started school both my parents were working
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My mom did until I was about 8, then she worked full time. I never considered staying at home until I remarried and ended up with pregnancy complications. We could afford it, and I was confident enough in my marriage/husband that I wasn't scared to lose my independence.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My mom stayed home, and actually most of my friends moms stayed home...but I think that's true of most of my generation. I'm 49. When I decided to stay home with my kids, I was in the minority. My kids are 18, 21 & 28, and most of their friends moms worked.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• No she didn't. We went to my gramma's and when we didn't live around family we did have an afterschool sitter until she was home. Never went to a daycare setting....did they even have those 25+ years ago?? My mom was crazy busy when we were in highschool too, as well as my dad who always worked 12+ hour days.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My mom did but she worked from home keeping kids. I always told her she loved them more than me! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:22 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• my mom stayed at home until my sister and i were in school. but she was always home by the time we got out of school.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 2:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• my mom stayed at home but it was because my grandparents PAID her too because they thought it was so wrong that my father wanted her to get a job and help because he was working two jobs. they thought he should get a third job. my family is ridiculous and disgusting.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 2:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Nope. When we moved across the country when I was 11 she tried to stay at home, but after 6 months she got so bored she was almost depressed so she went back to work. I'm an only child and we lived in an apartment so it's not like she had a ton of things to look after lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2010