Do you think going to church is more commercialized these days?

Going to church seems to be more commericalized rather than based on actual faith. Does anyone else notice this? Like the televangelists. It seems they're only trying to get people to join their congregation because the more the people, the more people will tithe. and the more people tithe, the more the televangelist will get paid.

I dunno, what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Religious Debate

• probably. But I think it has always been that way. Many people go to church because it looks good,not because they are religios.It is "for show".
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• no, i don't think it is. what you see on tv/popularized evangelists, is a far cry from the 'normal' church in your your neighborhood. the ratio is probably around 100'normal':1tv-church..if not more so.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:34 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I've always felt that way. I never saw a reason for church besides to donate money... Spirituality doesn't need a building for it to grow.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Oh yes, it is a business like any other.

Answer by older at 2:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Yes, hence why I don't go. I can worship God in my own home. I've also noticed that those who go to church tend to (not all but a lot) act as if they are better than others because the attend church. While I think it is great to find a good church that one loves, I do not generally like the attitudes of those who do.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Church have been collected money and goods from believers since it came to being. So , of course it is commercialized.
    Only the ways it collects those goods and cash have changed, depending on the technology and the ways church can get to and advertise to church goers.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 6:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• LOL I've seen a gift/souvenir shop in a church.  I couldn't help myself, I cracked up!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Well I know the priest in the Greek Orthodox church DH's family goes to gets about $90,000/yr. He is a complete moron and nobody in the congregation likes him, but that's besides the point, he makes a ton of money for "working" about 20 hrs a week.
    Churches bring in millions of dollars and year, and don't pay taxes. If you don't dress up to go, and wear jeans, everyone is scandalized. I guess I just don't get why anyone would go in the first place. Doesn't god hear you when you pray in your own house, your car, even in your own head? Why dress up when god knows what you look like naked? Why give money to the church when you could be buying cans for the local food pantry?
    Call it commercialized, I guess... I've always thought of it more as a Cash Cow, or a pyramid scheme.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 7:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Not my church, but then there are no televangelists there.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• What your talking about is the mega-church movement, and yes, I do think they CAN get way too commercial. On the other hand, there are some (a relative handful) that I believe are great churches who aren't commercializing themselves.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 9:34 PM on Oct. 8, 2010