Are there things that you were allowed to do as a child, that you would never let your kids do?

The first thing that comes to my mind, is that I was a latchkey kid from 7 on. I came home and let myself in, ate the snack she made and watched tv from the time I go out of school until my older brothers would come home from whatever sport they were playing. and when I was 9 I was also in charge of making sure my baby brother got home (he if 4 years younger) and I watched him.

I am glad that I knew how to be responsible, but I wouldnt do that to my kids. (that is why i pushed so hard to stay home)

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• -tv was not monitored... tv is somewhat monitored for dd.
    -i dated really young.. she wont be dating as young as i did! And we will have many more rules on it too.
    -latch key kid at 7/8 & able to go as I please from 3-5pm: my dd will have more rules & i hope we are never in a position she will have to be a latch key kid. But i dont think id allow it at all until age 10. maybe.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• my mom didn't keep me from watching certain tv shows and movies. now i don't even let my kids wath family guy.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Honestly no... For us it's the other way around. There are LOTS of things we were never allowed to do that I have no issue with my kids doing... My kids have more freedom at 3 & 4 than I did at 17...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I walked home from school - through the woods! And played outside and rode my bike miles away from home all before the age of 10!!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 2:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• edit: I work from home, I fought hard for that ...
    Bubbie0809

Comment by Bubbie0809 (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• my mom would let us take off all day to play in the woods, not really knowing where we went, and I just think that is sooooo dangerous!!! We would go to abandoned houses and spy on the neighbors...omg I would have a fit if my kids did anything like I did as a child
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 2:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• my mom and grandmother NEVER told me no. I always got to do whatever I wanted and they did everything for me so as a result I was so spoiled growing up. D is always going to know what hard work is and he's not getting things if its unreasonable!
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 2:40 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• my backyard growing up was about 5 acres of woods, and many cliffs. i used to climb the cliffs and play house or kitchen, usually by myelf. it was bear county, snake country....and you couldnt see the house sometimes. I'm sure mom peaked out to check up on me, but I to be honest, as free spirited as I am, I would watch my son like a hawk lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Right now there isn't anything really that I can think of that my kids can't do.  They have all the same freedoms I had (running around our neighborhood, go to and from friends' houses, going to the park down the street, etc).  My boundaries when I was their age was about 3 blocks around our street.  We live in a little subdivision and they are allowed to go all over this small section of it.  When they get older (my oldest is 10) they will be allowed farther out.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• no
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2010