My three year old has discovered she's part monkey, how do I get her to stop?

She figured out how to get out of the crib then started climbing everything, in her room. She has climbed up on the changing table and gotten powder and cream off of a shelf over six feet from the ground. Twice emptying two bottles of powder in her bed. She has also climbed the bookshelf in her closet to get things from off the top shelf. I'm afraid she is going to get hurt but, nothing seems to work in getting her to stop.
I don't want to strip her room clean b/c we feel that isn't teaching her anything, just removing the tools with which she uses. We do already have to take the toy box out or she'll empty it and then useit to climb to the tops of other things. Although she now just uses the rocker or opens a drawer.

Charlie2612

Asked by Charlie2612 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think its time for a big girl bed with bed rails :)
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Wear her out. Seriously time for freeze dancing lessons, hide and seek, ring around the rosy. Get a rope and have her lie down and pull herself up by the rope. (Upper body strength). Buy cheap cones at target sports section and have her zig zag around them. Blow up an air mattress not quite all the way and let her jump off the couch onto it. Please use common sense. Also, make sure everything is strapped to the wall for safety. Get the products on a high shelf she can't reach. Good luck from the mom of three wild monkeys who have not slowed down.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Oh and buy the book "The Out of Sync child has fun" even if your child doesn't have sensory disorder it has great ideas and explains what sense is being used when you do something with your child.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Oh I would take her to the playground or the YMCA and explain to her that she can climb anything there!!! Can she explain and tell you what she wants or why when she is climbing? Three years old is hard especially if she is still in a crib...your lucky if she is just climbing now! My son (who is 4) jumped out of his crib when he was 18 months old! That was the end of that! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:05 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• At 3 years old, it's time for a big girl bed, especially if she's climbing out of the crib.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• when the child started to climb out of the crib I switch to a bed with guards, it work great.
    bettyboop330

Answer by bettyboop330 at 7:54 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• OH Boy! Welcome to the jungle! I have a monkey too. I got him a step stool thinking that this would keep him from climbing my kitchen cabinets & I think I created a bigger problem. ha! The only thing I can suggest is keep pulling her down from what she is climbing until she finally gets it. My son has even had his stool taking away & for punishment & I think he's finally getting the hint. My husband helps me out on this too & this will help you as well!
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 11:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2008