Do you feel all kids show some signs of a "disorder"

being most commonly diagnosed disorders out there today are not "cookie cutter" descriptions, do you think a child ( ex our son ) can show many mild symptoms, yet, be a perfectly "normal" child?? he has some mild but not debilitating sensory issues, rice texture issue, likes routine however only mild if any tantrums happen and only if he's not explained to what will happen next.. he is very sensitive to light but "usually" only in the morning time.. he's always gotten over stimulated by aroma's such as lavender or strong tastes of foods... he is not a very social child at daycare regardless of how long he has been there and prefers not to play with other kids, but CAN ... he has eye contact, great verbal skills for almost a 3 year old, cognitive and motor are all there although a tad slower in motor but nothing alarming..asking because at an assessment, he set off certain" red flags" from what I've mentioned..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• All kids can show signs of this or that. There are also borderline cases that are so mild they are had to distinguish...this is my dd.

Her symptoms of aspergers are VERY mild and difficult to say the HAS it or does NOT have it.

All autism kids show different traits and they can and do change as they mature and grow. Some change anyways.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Each kid has his own temperment and some temperments look like disorders until it's proven not to be. My son is 3 and a few of the things you mention apply to him as well, but I'm not concerned about disorder.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 3:06 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• No, not all kids have "disorders" . My kids and grandkids have never shown any signs of a disorder. Thank God. They have been pretty darn happy and learn quickly. My kids were born about 40 years ago. My grandkids are aged 3 months to 14 years. I think , as a family including in-laws -we are all very healthy, nobody ever smoked pot or drank too much.None of us have had serious debilitating diseases. The kids are great! ALL of them have had all their vaccinations.
    I do think that "disorders" are genetic.Or susceptible babies are influenced by prenatal nutrition ,too.Or lack of nutrition. ANd drug use. And environmental issues such as lead in paint,etc.All of this is available to read at Google----interesting stuff.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• mom2twobabes... I am thinking he is very mild/bordeline also but my husband thinks he's been put in the pack of over or mis-diagnosed.. I think he's angry right now so I am trying to get all I can for information or input from other mothers so I can present it better to him.. not that he wouldn't be willing to do what it takes, but he doesn't think he needs anything at all at this point.... how did you get him to see what he needed to see?? or at the very least not to freak out about the label aspect of it all?
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2010