How should I deal with my dh's drinking too much too often?

MamaMelMel

Asked by MamaMelMel at 2:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm speaking from experience here... I was married to an alcoholic for 8 years. And the sad truth is, there's nothing you CAN do. I tried talking to him, I tried pouring his drinks down the sink, I tried getting him to go to therapy.... Unless THEY want to change, whatever you do won't make any difference whatsoever. Eventually, I just got fed up and left. It was hard to do, but looking back it was the best thing I'd done for myself in a long time. Now, I don't have any idea what's going on with him. Don't know, don't care.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• thats hard because like anouck said if they dont want to change they wont and no matter what you do try to talk to them dump it out its wont do anything but cost you guys more money good luck and i hope it gets better
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 3:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• You can go to alanon meetings if you are going to stay with him. They might be helpful to you. They were not helpful to my family. My father was an alcoholic. We tried to convince my mom to leave him several times for her own sanity. She never did. We would have had a happier childhood if they had divorced years ago.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I left after 10 years couldn't do it anymore
    Inheritingkids

Answer by Inheritingkids at 5:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2010