Have a question. It's about Cops... ( sort of )

I'm writing a novel and I realized that I don't know any cops really. However, one of my characters is a police officer. Anyways, is there a job that you can have, where you work with police officers without being a cop? Like a desk worker? I know that sounds like an odd question but any help would be appreciated! Thank so much!

PeytonsMom21109

Asked by PeytonsMom21109 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• Dispatcher
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My sister was a notary at the courhouse, worked the information booth& wasaround cops all day
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My sisters ex is the police dispatcher in their town. He is NOT a sworn officer and I don't recall ever seeing a police uniform around the house. He is also a rather heavy man, so I think he wouldn't have been able to pass the physical to ba an officer.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 3:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• you could go on a ride along. then you can see what they do. and probably talk to them and whatnot.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 3:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I agree with the dispatcher. Go to the police station and see if they take in volunteers for office work.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 3:06 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I'll have to do that! Take a ride along! Do dispatchers have alot of interaction with the police officers? My last novel was about cops but didn't have alot of information about the jobs but this one, I'm going to need a little bit of help and the only cop I know is on vacation with his family and I don't want to bother him with a ton of questions. Thanks everyone for the answers so far!
    PeytonsMom21109

Comment by PeytonsMom21109 (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Dispatcher, community safety officer, administrative staff at the police department.
    Anonymous

• Dispatcher, Records technician, administrative staff are all positions that work at the police station but are not necessarily P.O.S.T. certified. There are other people who work along side the police such as forensic interviewer, social workers, etc.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Dispatcher, records tech, guards.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Cops are just average type people just like anyone else sweetie. They just wear a uniform is the only difference. The authority he throws around isnt any different than a strict type dad. Extra bossy with a very direct tone in his voice.
    Jobs huh--the school systems usually have an officer standing around so maybe volunteer at the schools or sub-teach or work in the cafeteria. any job at the court house, process server, colleges-security offices, newspaper reporter for accidents & crimes,crime photographer, fire department works closely with the PD for traffic control. Anywhere you see a cop standing around look to see what hes protecting and that another job to add to your list.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 7:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2010