How much can you get for donating plasma and how often can you do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• Twice a week, up to $60/ week depending on weight. ( 2005 was my last donation.)
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 3:04 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• between 20 and 30 bucks....I think you can do it once a week....possibly twice.....it's not great money but its something i guess...
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 3:04 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• i got 120 in a week , 60 the 1st time then 60 the 2nd, i do know that if i go again it will be less.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 3:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• It takes some time and it's not painful, but it's boring as hell, and you can't have had surgery in the last year, and giving birth counts. I had to do it to make ends meet when my abusive ex wouldn't allow me to have money, work, or have diapers. I want to say they gave me thirty bucks a pop.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I donated plasma once (for free, never occurred to me to get paid for it), and I can honestly say, never again. Not only did it take forever, but I ended up getting chilled to the bone and shivering like crazy, and was sick as a dog for the rest of the day. Not worth it.

I'd rather donate blood, but since my blood type is rare, they don't really want it :|
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I donated plasma a few times, but it really was not worth it for me- as 1/2 the time my iron count was too low and I could not donate that day (so I drove up there for nothing), some of the days I ended up having to wait well past my appointment time and I had to juggle finding a sitter. I also was not impressed with how the workers wore the SAME pair of rubber gloves for everything-- no washing or changing them. The thought of their 'dirty' gloves putting a sterile gauze and wrapping my arm did not sit well with me.
    That place had a rule that you could only donate 2x/wk- (with 2-3 days between visits). If was $20 for the 1st visit and then $30 for the 2nd so you could make up to $50/wk.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Here is Utah it's $20 the first time you sell and if you sell again within that week it's another $35. So $55 a week if you go twice a week.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Where hubby and I go, it was $50 your first 5 times and you had 45 days to get the $250, then each time after that it depends on weight. For me, I can donate twice a week (that's anybody though) and get paid $20 then $35 for $55 a week. Each place will differ, and most will have a first time donor incentive. You WILL get cold, it's normal, so bring a blanket and a book to read, and if possible, something to hold in your hand to pump the blood out. Your vitals (BP, heart rate and iron) all have to be a certain level for them to let you donate, and it's important to drink lots of water before hand and something like Gatorade afterward... reason being the more hydrated you are, the quicker you blood will flow which will allow the machine to separate and pool the plasma quicker and then return your red blood cells. Eat a light meal and drink Gatorade or something with electrolytes afterward so that you rehydrate and recoop
    atowers

Answer by atowers at 8:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• (cont'd) quicker. The first time I did it, I felt like crap afterward too, but after that I was fine. As far as I'm concerned, it's worth the boredom and brief period of being cold because plasma can save lives and you can donate it twice a week. There are some health stipulations you have to follow to ensure that you're well enough to donate.
    atowers

Answer by atowers at 8:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2010