Are you stocking up?

My mother in law is OBSESSED with having everything ready for the end times. She thinks that money will be worthless, that our water will be useless, and that we need to stock up on food. She told my hubby that she has 100 pkgs of Mac and cheese in her basement. THey also bought a water filter that will take out pretty much all crap from water.

What do you think? Is she in the right or is she nutty???

crazy4u49033

Asked by crazy4u49033 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Then no. I could not imagine lugging around hundreds of boxes of macaroni and cheese every three years when we move. That would be a pain in the butt to unpack each time.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I think at the 'end of times' mac and cheese and water filters will be the least of your problems if you are still here.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I think a hundred packages of mac and cheese might be overkill.. We keep about a months worth of food on hand, cycling through it constantly. That's not because of the end times, it's just to be prepared in an emergency,
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• No. I'm not stocking up. I do not believe in the "End of times".

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My first thought was: if things get so bad that she needs 100 packages of mac and cheese, how exactly does she plan to cook them? Will there be gas or electricity for the stove or does she plan to boil water on the bbq or woodstove?
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 3:27 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• lol, kinda nutty if you ask me... besides which if its the end times then how would she still be around to use all that stuff? i do like the idea of bomb shelters or something like people used to build in the 40s-50s but i honestly don't know anyone who has that or can afford something like that... If we won the lotto i would insist on putting something like that on our property/house though... Just in case :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 3:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I stock up for when it snows but that's about it. I don't get crazy, but in November I start doubling up on staples.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• May I ask.

What trials and tribulations does she think are coming her way?
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• You know I got to thinking...how is she storing the milk and butter to make this mac and cheese? LMBO!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• She is probably talking about the economic crash with the dollar being worthless. It's one theory. I'm not personally stocking up, but I do know that a lot of people are. Some people have entire rooms full of their necessities (food, water, personal care products, etc.). I don't think it's necessary or that it will happen. Realistically though, who knows.... If it does happen, then it will be too late to "stock up" at that point. Kind of like a hurricane. If you are prepared at the beginning of the season, then you are fine. If you wait until the news reporters say.... go buy water, etc.... then it's almost too late because the shelves at the stores will be empty.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:37 PM on Oct. 9, 2010