I FEEL GUILTY..

MY BABY IS 4 WEEKS. I EXCLUSIVLY BREAST FED SINCE DAY 1. JUST RECENTLY I HAVENT BEEN PRODUCING ENOUGH TO SUFICE HIS HUNGER. I TRIED PUMPING AND DONT GET MUCH EITHER. MY DOC. TOLD ME TO TRY MIXING MY BM WITH FOURMULA. SO I BEEN DOING 1OZ. BM AND 1OZ. FOURMULS(similac sensitive). I STILL FEEL LIKE IM CHEATING MY BABY OUT OF THE BEST, I FEEL GUILTY! DOES ANYONE RELATE??

king0913

Asked by king0913 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• as long as he is getting some then i would not worrie you are a good mom
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 3:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• you could try the tea that stimulates breast milk production that might help
    macks_mommy

Answer by macks_mommy at 3:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• dont worry, pump while he is nursing to up your milk supply. if you are on any type of birth control it can lower your supply.
    pbilotti

Answer by pbilotti at 3:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• You do what you need to do and DONT feel guilty. 4 weeks is more than some women can make it....

But there are ways to boost your supply.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I'm not trying to make you feel bad about your decision. Millions upon millions of babies do fine on formula alone. Are you sure you aren't producing enough? 3-4 weeks is a normal growth spurt time and if can feel like you aren't producing enough but in all honestly they are just hungrier and it will level off and your body will catch up to the demand. Just something to consider.

I did have to stop breast feeding my DD at 9 months. I was having to pump at work and my body didn't pump well so my supply dropped to the point of my DD losings weight. I felt so guilty for starving her. literally but she never complained so I had no idea...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I felt like a complete failure when I could not breast feed my oldest child due to the fact that I had NO milk!!! You are doing what you have to do to keep him fed. Don't beat yourself up over something you have no control over! Hang in there!!!!!
    ejkmommy

Answer by ejkmommy at 3:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• ALL babies are supposed to feed A LOT and OFTEN. Our crazy culture leads us to believe that babies are supposed to go 4 hours between feedings. That is NOT normal. The more you feed the more milk you will make. The more you supplement, the less milk you will make. AND pumping is not a true indicator of how much you make. I felt the same as you and went straight to formula. I now know that he was eating just fine and I just wasn't educated on BF enough. I promise that the more he nurses, the more you will make. If you want to, you CAN stop with the supplements. If not, keep doing what you are doing. You can PM me if you want more info on BF. Or join a BF group. You can Exclusively nurse if you want to.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I had a c-section and my milk didn't come in till day 3 and by then, my baby had lost over 10% of her weight, so the doctor said to give her formula. She is now 8 months old and doing great! Actually, she is a cute chubby baby. I have had her on Earths Best formula since day 2 and breastfeed/ pump 80% of the time. Also, what I didn't realize is that you start to produce more milk as you go into weeks 6+, so your not doing anything you should feel guilty about. Also, make sure you pump every 2 hours, even after he eats and you will start to notice more milk. I also just started to take Gaia Lactate support, (buy on Amazon-best price) and it REALLY works. Good Luck!
    mommym99

Answer by mommym99 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• ALL babies are supposed to lose 10% of their weight. It happens as long as it isn't more, then you could have kept on feeding her colostrum. It is the same amount, just a different recipe. It is thicker, that's why it feels different. There isn't less of it. I can't believe all the doctors that want to formula feed. They are so BF uneducated.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Try Fenugreek, they are a herbal supplement and they helped me
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2010