What do you think of homebirth?

Do you think it's generally safe? Or is it dangerous? Is it crazy to have a vbac at home? A large baby? A breech? Do you think that drs are more equipped and qualified to deliver babies than midwives? Or do you think midwives are better qualified to attend normal births? Do you think hospitals create more problems than they solve when it comes to birthing or do you think it's the other way around?

circle_of_life

Asked by circle_of_life at 3:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• IMHO doctors should be there to attend to medically necessary births. Babies can take hours or days to come out.... hospitals should be for true emergencies. I think midwives are the way to go. They don't want trouble.... if there's a problem they'll get you to the ER straight away.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Actually, home birth isn't all that unusual in Europe, unless they know there could be complications, it's the preferred way to go.

However, I'm planning on having a VBAC with this baby, and I would be too much of a chicken to do it at home. I'd be too afraid of something going wrong to be able to relax... Thankfully, my hospital actually has mostly midwives to attend births, and they encourage going as natural as possible, so I feel like I have the best of both worlds :)
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I want a homebirth. They are statistically safer. Doctors at hospital DO cause more harm than good. For instance the traditional hospital birth position is the WORST way to deliver, it closes the pelvis. Midwives are equipped with the same skills as doctors, however, they specify in the "goes with nature' way of giving birth. Not the clinical way.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Whats a vbac? I think homebirths are ok.I think hospitals tend to create problems in a normal birth but are priceless obviously in the case of an emergency. I would prefer more of a happy medium and think they should have more birthing centers where Doctors could intervene quickly if needed but births would be more natural most of the time.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:22 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• VBAC = vaginal birth after c-section.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Ria a vbac is vaginal birth after cesarean....I would not have a home birth....If i decided to do that with my son then the both of us would not be here today. I think there are way to many risks with that and I would rather be at a hospital in case something is wrong. I think a midwife is qualified to deliver a baby just fine. I do not have a preference when it comes to that but I would never deliver at home unless I was waiting for the ambulance and they didnt get there in time.

Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Not for me personally, however children have been born at home for centuries. If you feel you are safe, and want to do it - go for it.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 3:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I think it's a wonderful idea for those who don't have pregnancy related medical issues. I personally would never do it. I want to be where there are doctors, medical equipment, specialists, and a knowledgeable staff at hand in case anything goes wrong. After all, there's a NICU for a reason.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My grammas and great grammas all had home births.....but there were several infant deaths and broken collarbones invovled.

If there are uncomlpicated births then, fine,IF the midwife knows what she is doing. I couldn't have had home births for my three---complications and the fact that in the 1960's, we just didn't do it.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I would have died and so would have my son. I had a text book perfect pregnancy and in the end a 6lb baby was too large for me to push out and I had a c-section.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 3:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2010