Information on registered sex offenders adult content

I am sort of paranoid, so I check my area and the neighboring communities for sex offenders on a regular basis. Well, in doing that, I found out that one of my co workers is a registered sex offender. Our applications ask for anything in the past seven years for criminal history. He said there was nothing in the past seven years, but he is only 23. And according to his application, he lives somewhere about ten miles away from his last known address. (I have access to the files, I didn't steal them or anything). I understand it could be a very minor offense, but that makes me wonder why he felt the need to lie about it. It is pretty easy to explain that when you were 18, you dated a 17 year old and her parents pressed charges or something like that. Not because of me, but because of another mother there, word has gotten around about him and his questionable past. How can I find out more, and should I report him for his address?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I would report the address thing....He is a registerd offender for a reason...whatever that reason may be. And if he lied to your boss I would bring that up to your boss as well....That is a crime lying on an application.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:22 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• It is possible that the record was supposed to be expunged at eighteen and that he was only registered up until 21 by order of the court.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:22 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Are your children in danger? Does he work with children in your job? Is he accessing Child Porn at your office? Then, unless you are in HR and his direct boss - you will be violating his employment rights by examining his files.

If you as a citizen choose to turn in a registered sex offender for his address being different that is up to you.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 3:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• This is where I'm unsure. If he was 18, and dating a 17 year old~ and her parents didn't like it~ that's not a sex offense like a child rapist. That's her parents not liking him for some reason. It could be because he's a different race. I don't think in all cases, someone should be labeled as a sex offender. Not in cases where the parents just don't like the boyfriend.

I know lying on the app is illegal, and that in itself could get him fired. I guess it would come down to the guys character. Is he a good guy, is he a good employee. But, on the other hand, maybe he's hiding other things, and he's not such a good guy after all? You just never know, so I guess this is where your gut come in, and what does it tell you? Since someone else knows, you may not need to say anything at all, it may be out of your hands now anyway. Wait and see.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Did he lie in his application? Lying about his backgriound can be grounds for firing. I am saying any kind of lie, not just criminal background.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Does your office not do background checks? What the hell? I would leave that type of screening up to your employer. I am pretty sure the nature of the crime is public information, correct?

I would report the address thing though. Whether or not he is actually guilty, he is breaking the law by notifying the correct people when he moves.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:36 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I agree, unless this is your job to conduct background checks, or hire/fire employees, it is none of your business! However, if it IS your job, and other employees have knowledge of his past, and this creates a hostile work environment for him, then you're looking at a serious law suit! His omission of certain facts on his application can be grounds for dismissal, but it means that SOMEONE didn't do THEIR job properly, and THEY could be facing termination as well!

Like the others have said, there may be an "innocent" explanation to all of this, and unless he is in direct contact with minor children or violating any other office policies, then this is really all office gossip!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:56 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Sounds like more details are needed before you can "judge' him, but perhaps you shouldn't have been "in the files' in the first place...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I would stay alert and cautious, but leave it alone for now.
    art.diva

Answer by art.diva at 11:47 PM on Oct. 8, 2010