How much breast milk should I be producing at 8 months?

I breastfeed/pump 80% of the time with formula 20% of the time. I'm about to move my baby up from the 4-5oz bottle to the 8oz. bottle.

mommym99

Asked by mommym99 at 3:22 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breast milk changes over time. A baby who only gets breast milk will drink about a liter a day.

Your body will make as much as your baby demands. You can increase you supply by pumping frequently.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I pumped really well inthe beginning and the was unable to pump anything at all by 7 months. Some body's just don't pump well.
    Anonymous

• My son has been eating 7 oz of breast milk at every feeding since he was about 5 months old, and he will be 7 months this month. I have been doing a bottle of breast milk since he was about 4 and 1/2 months old because he was teething and in pain every 2-3 minutes of nursing. (He wasn't gassy because he wouldn't burp and he wasn't that gassy before hand or since.) As to how much of breast milk you should be producing, it depends on how much of it your baby is eating. Your supply should accommodate your baby. The baby is better at getting the milk out then a pump though. The lactation person at our pediatrician's office says that the more you pump, the more of breast milk you are going to produce. We started him on Organic Brown Rice BPA free Cereal since he was about 4 and 1/2 months, and he is doing well. That seemed to help him being more full and, therefore, eat less often.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 3:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• If you don't have enough breast milk for your son, I would suggest that you call your pediatrician and ask if there is anything you could to produce enough milk for him.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 3:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• You never need eight ounce bottles. The bottle size doesn't change. The composition of the breastmilk does! Cool, huh?

Mine NEVER went off three ounces.... more would be rejected. And he was a BIG dude... had he not started walking I'd have needed a forklift!

Normal pump output is .5 -2 ounces a session, and that number is good forever.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• A baby needs 32 oz of formula a day between 6-12 mo. You should give your baby a combination of expressed milk and formula equal to 32 oz if you are only bottle feeding. If you are breastfeeding and bottlefeeding then it is a whole different story. Your baby may nurse so much when you are together including several times in the middle of the night that along with solids the amount of experssed milk needed will decrease and by 9 mo you may need to give no bottles at all. The baby can eat solids and drink water while you are away and breastfeed while you are together. It is called reversed cycle feeding. I agree a baby shouldn't be given 8 oz at one feeding.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:27 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• breastmilk is not like formula. your baby nurses and they nurse until they are good to go. like gdianante said you never increase bm. i pump exclusevely for ds 11 mts and he never got more then 4 oz at a time
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• how much milk you make depends on how much milk baby is taking from you
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I just wanted to mention this; breastfeeding from the BREAST, is best...there is actually two way communication between the breast and the baby, so even though is is WAAAY better than formula, it is not as good to pump and freeze or put into a bottle.
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 11:39 AM on Oct. 11, 2010