Did you know...Babies will lose 10% of their weight and that is fine. More than that is an issue. Colostrum IS your milk in, it's just a different recipe. There isn't less, just a different consistency and make up.

Your baby only needs maybe a half ounce max at first. Babies are not designed to eat a 4oz bottle at first and them wait 4 hours. Society and formula has made us think that. Babies have a tiny stomach..and they are designed to eat small amounts very often. When did all of our thinking change? I thought wrong too and my son went to 4oz bottle of formula at 1 months because I thought WRONG. I am at least glad I researched and studied enough before I had more kids. Now, I can go about the whole thing differently.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 3:36 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Learning is key. I fed my son wrong after failing BF as well. I feel confident with all the info i have learned that i will do a better job next time.

And to the PP's, pull the corn cob out. Shes just sharing information. Some people probubly didnt know this stuff. I know i didnt as a new first time mom.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 3:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Delilahsmom, it's STUNNING what people DON'T know. Don't believe me? Go read the TTC section for a few weeks.

This is basic biology that SHOULD be taught to our children in school, but it's not.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• For new mothers and women who don't know anyone who has breastfed, it isn't common knowledge. It's a process of asking questions to educate yourself when you become pregnant. I knew nothing about breastfeeding until I became pregnant because no one taught me and I had no reason to know at a younger age.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• You bash on non-breast feeders entirely too much.

Don't you have anything better to do with your life?
    Anonymous

• Okay were happy for your children really.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I was never one to assume that my newborn should drink a 4 oz bottle, and that was over 17 years ago.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 3:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Deliahsmom: Are you kidding me? Have you read the questions on this site????
    And for you to say people shouldnt be mothers is ridiculous. Babies are not born with manuals and we all have questions. So, does that mean i shouldnt be a mom cause i wasnt quite sure on how to feed my NB? I think not! I am the proud parent of a happy healthy 15 month old boy who is always advanced foe his age, and i had questions all the time! Uneducated does not mean poor parenting. Get off your high horse!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 3:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I don't give a crap. I formula fed and would do it again. I am not a fan of breast feeding.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:27 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Yes, this info is important, but the delivery comes across as preachy - which really turns a lot of people off to the message. Plus it's not entirely accurate. Babies CAN lose 10% of their birth weight but not all WILL. My ebf sons never lost that much and my youngest had acutally gained before we left the hospital.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• And P.S. she was formula fed. And NO, I don't feel guilty about it:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 3:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2010