Help getting pregnant again?

We are currently trying to have baby number 2 and are having a lot of trouble. It took us two years to get pregnant with our first. We have been trying for about 6 months now. We would like to have our children close together, our son turned 1 on October 14. I am still breastfeeding and plan on continuing until he turns 2 or he weans himself before that. I also had a csection with our son and they had trouble getting my right tube to stop bleeding so I don't know if that is going to cause any trouble. Our doctor did not act so at the time. I am almost 34 and we would like to have the next one before I turn 35 and am really considered high risk because of my age. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

antelope

Asked by antelope at 11:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• Try taking prenatels to get your folic acid levels up.... Also get your husband on some. They will make his "lil soldiers" stonger! :) That's what the doctor told us :)
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Good nutrition for both you & hubby is a must! You might be on prenatals already if you're still breastfeeding but if not, start. If you're still nursing, are you ovulating and have a normal cycle? Mine didn't return til after I stopped nursing. Try to exercise and live as healthy as you can (if you don't already) and relax, stress isn't good for babymaking. It took me 4 pregnancies and over 2 years to get one healthy baby that actually got to come home with me and I was 37, so I do understand. I visited a naturopathic doctor to assess any nutritional deficiencies and took special supplements to correct them, then got pregnant within a couple months after a solid year of trying. No one could ever know if that's what helped, but it's something to think about.
    MRiverson

Answer by MRiverson at 3:16 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Start charting your cycles if you're not already (a fast guide is available with www.fertilityfriend.com ). Then, if your cycle is 'normal' (as in a cycle with a luteal phase--the time after ovulation--of 12-16 days), you have a 25% chance of conceiving each month (that is if your partner has an optimal sperm count as well--that's the best chance possible) so that's why it can take a while. If you have a LP of less than 10 days, I'd suggest going on vitex (the smallest dosage you can find--too much interferes with lactation, but at the right dosage, it will fix your LP and even possibly boost your milk a little) as that's what helped me. Wait for your LP to be 12+ days and then resume TTC. Discontinue vitex about 2 weeks after a positive HPT (only needed if you have a LP issue, though, which only charting will tell you). That's the most you can really do aside from just going at it like rabbits!
    Xakana

Answer by Xakana at 3:56 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Someone already mentioned -- but you may not be ovulating on a set schedule yet since you're still breastfeeding. I didn't use any birth control after my baby was born (also an Oct 14th baby, 2 years ago!), and didn't get pregnant again until this past July. Unfortunately, I lost that baby a month ago, at 12 weeks pregnant. :(
    Get some test strips to see if you can tell if you're ovulating yet.
    I was hoping for closer spacing too, but it looks like we'll have at least 3 year spacing now. It'll be ok. 35 is NOT too old for a second baby. It might actually be easier to be a bit older, just to have your first one weaned and out of diapers before a new pregnancy starts. It is NOT fun to nurse and be pregnant!!!!
    CarrieH77

Answer by CarrieH77 at 9:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2008