What is Babywise all about?

I'm hearing a lot of bad things from this book and I'm curious about what it says about certain situations (ie, cry it out, breastfeeding, schedules, etc.)

missliss_sc

Asked by missliss_sc at 3:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• CIO raise cortisol the stress hormone in babies if you do this too young. That is bad.

You can't schedule breastfeeding as that is detrimental as well.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• In one part of the book it said that crying will be temporary, lasting from five to forty-five minutes.... I had this talk with one of my friends the other day. Neither one of us said we could stand our baby crying for five minutes... and definitely NOT 45 minutes and think it is okay..
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• From what I gather, it's about setting up a schedule basically from birth. The schedule is "eat, play, sleep" and you're supposed to make them wait a certain period of time between cycles. Some babies fall into this type of schedule naturally (and it IS quite convenient!), but some just aren't designed that way and forcing them into that rigid of a schedule can require leaving them to cry themselves to sleep (because some babies NEED comfort from mom to get to sleep... it's an actual need!), and also failure to thrive (if you aren't feeding them when they ask for it... some women need a lot of stimulation to produce adequate amounts of milk, so limiting nursing can be detrimental to supply for some and cause baby to not get enough to eat).
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:11 PM on Oct. 8, 2010