Do you think more woman are unsuccessful at breastfeeding because...

Do you think less woman are able to nurse with success because they are not being taught properly or being given bad advice?

Alot of ladies did not grow up in breastfeeding homes. So we did not learn it from our family. And it seems most dr.s give really bad advice when a new mom needs help.

Do you think as more moms start nursing, it may become more common in families, more kids will grow up understanding nursing & drs & other resources will become better, making the success of new nursing moms easier?

If mommys are given wrong/bad advice about nursing, we are setting them up to fail! to struggle! How can anything thrive if it is being taught wrong?
(hope that made sense!)

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ditto! I had terrible advice and NO support when I tried to breastfeed my first, which led me to not even try it with my 2nd. Finally by the time I had my 3rd I just make up my mind to do it regardless and set myself up to succeed! Which I did, nursed him until he was 27 months and nursed his baby sister until she was 4. :)

Recently I just took a 40 hour Lactation Counselor training and currently awaiting my certification. I see and hear so many people giving wrong or just plan BAD advice but when this advice comes from a Ped. who am I to counter? I dont never have certification yet. :(
    But I do my best to advice and help as much as I can.

Yes, to answer your question, it's due to a lack of Support, Education and the fact people still think nursing is a bad thing. It's not normal.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Yup...

We don't know what we are doing, people give terrible advice, and we lack peer and familial support.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I think most just aren't educated on it and are given bad advice. I wish it was the norm.

This is why I post daily on the topic. And EVERYONE gets all mad about it. But I see 2 questions a day on this very topic and people give horrible advice.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I would have to agree with the above. Were I live there is only one lactation consultant and she is really just a peer counceler. At the hospital here this isn't even a decent pump to use if your baby can't nurse right away or some to help you start to learn how the baby is supose to latch on. I think we need to get better education to mom's to be and maybe even start younger than that. In our modern day life breastfeeding has almost be came tabo. And to do it in public well people just look at you like you have the plage. I think we need alittle more educatin and more people to help after you have had your baby. I feel that inorder to recieve wic and I do recieve wic you should have to take a brestfeeding class.
    trachmom312

Answer by trachmom312 at 4:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I think you are right. I think there is a lot of misinformation and bad advice. I know that if I didnt know better with both of my children I probably would have given up. In the hospital with my daughter (my 1st) they wanted me to give her formula because she wasnt really nursing. I grew up around breastfeeding, I have close family friends that are lactation consultants, but I still let them give her a bottle, luckily she didnt take that either, but they had me so worried that she was going to starve. It wasnt till after I talked to a lactation consultant that I realized how dumb they were. Then with my son he wouldnt poop, so a doctor tried to convince me that it was because I wasnt making enough milk, I knew I was, and talked to a nurse, and my regular doctor, we were able to work out the problem without having to give him formula, but if I hadnt known better I probably would have given it to him like the doctor said.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 4:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I can only give my own opinion by what happened to me, I grew up in a breastfeeding family... it was my only plan to do so, he latched fine but I never got that let down feeling - i instantly went to a lactation nurse who said I was latching producing and he would get enough, problem was he unlatched up to 50-60 times per feeding.. not sure if ti was reflux, intolerance to foods I was eating which was a bland gestation Diabetes diet even lessened.. or what - but this made him extremely more gassy upset and then never full with enough milk, just full from gas pains from unlatching and crying. After 2 months I had to stop as I didn't sleep at all because once his gas settled he was hungry so we were basicially not sleeping at all..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I think that it is partially that they are given bad advice and the other part is that they do have to return to work after 6-8 weeks and sometimes sooner if they want to get paid. I am sure that it is a lot harder to breastfeed every 3-4 hrs or even 2-3 hrs during the day while you are working. Thankfully, I have been lucky enough to be given good advice on breastfeeding from the time I was at the hospital and then by the lactation consultant at the pediatrician's office. (Now, I ignored some of her advice because I thought that it was ridiculous or cruel. Our son would sleep through some feedings, and her suggestion was to wake him up using a cold wash cloth. All of my members thought that was very cruel, my MIL said that I would only get to do that over her dead body. I wouldn't do that to my precious baby even if she never said that. We found other more gentle ways to wake him up.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 4:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I believe the number 1 reason more women don't breastfeed is because so many women have to return to work after having a baby. If women were alloted more maternity leave, 1 year +, they would try it and stick to it. Also as a bigger woman who breastfeeds in public, I feel judged. But breastfeeding does invovle doing it in public, babies have to eat anytime, in public and at home. True too that we were taught but that goes back to the whole working after having a baby thing. Our moms worked and bottlefed us so that's what they taught us.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Could be lack of education, lack of determination on the mothers part, the baby could be having a hard time latching on, the mother has a medical condition, or the mother found formula feeding to be easier and chose that route. Whatever the reason, mothers are feeding their babies and that's what really matters.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I don't know if I would have done any better with advice or not, with both of my girls I just didn't make enough milk. I supplemented with formula for the first 6 months for both and went straight formula after that.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2010