the apple didn't fall far from the tree-

ok, here's another part of my journey in de-cluttering my place.

I need to admit something, so I'm starting here.

I've been watching hoarders, and felt good that I'm not that bad. Then I started to worry about my mom's place. I assume it's not as bad as many of the Hoarders shows, but when I think about it, I realize that she's going without certain things and repairs because she doesn't want others to see her place.

Kept thinking, I'm not THAT bad.
then I just saw a clip from the show, and saw a show where this woman's place did look a lot like mine in some areas. Not the worst I've seen, but all the same she was on hoarders, and parts of my place look a lot like hers.
and I think of dresses that I keep just in case, when I know that if needed I'd just sew another dress!

Now I realize that I sound like a alcoholic that says all is OK because they aren't as bad as 'so and so.'

OK. that's off my chest. <

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 3:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have kept things for just in case or if I lose weight, etc. If you haven't worn it in a year, donate it! I kept ALL my son's stuff for when I might have another one. I finally made myself part with most of it because I don't plan on another child any time soon, if at all. My dad is a hoarder. Not like on the shows, but he will not throw out anything, if it can be used. His parents were also hoarders. I think it must be genetic! Anyway, if you don't need it, if you haven't used it in a long time, then just suck it up and get rid of it. I am forcing myself to get rid of stuff. Our house is relatively small and clutter doesn't help. My grandparents wouldn't get things fixed either. My dad had to take charge and fix stuff himself or hire people. Sounds like you might have to do that with your mom. GL
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Good luck
    Vmahoney

Answer by Vmahoney at 4:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• This first step is acknowledging areas that need improvement. Its ok to say things are out of control in a certain area and you are going to address the problem. Dr. Phil says you cant change what you dont acknowledge. Good for you for starting to look at how you are living. We all have a way that we were raised and may tend to follow that path but wise people weigh the god and the bad and choose how they want to live! I put a box in my garage and as I'm cleaning if I see something i dont need I throw it in the box. When it is full I CHEERFULLY gice it to goodwill knowing it will get used and loved by someone who has less than me. Try it..give the stuff as an act of charity and it makes it easier. my grandma is a hoarder and she constantly tries to give me stuff and she guilt trips me for "being wasteful". My life runs alot smoother when i dont have to shuffle thru excess stuff to get something done.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 8, 2010