Baby seems to be getting sleepy earlier and earlier

I'm curious about whether this is common, and if it has to do with development or with the season changing (days getting shorter). I'm also not sure what to do! My 5-month old has been going to bed regularly at 7:00 p.m. for awhile. I start getting him ready about 30 minutes before then. But in the past couple of weeks, he's getting super tired much earlier...like by 5:15 or 5:30! I've been leery of putting him down that early because I'm afraid he'll be up at 5:00 a.m. raring to go. But by making him wait until his normal time, he gets seriously fussy by the time it's bedtime. Should I just adjust to him, and not worry about the mornings?

Mamastheword

Asked by Mamastheword at 11:38 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• honestly i think time is to blame lol. my daughter who is 11 months is doing the same thing. and the scary part is she goes to bed at 7 now and sleeps til about 9 am. her regular bedtime was 9. so honestly i think its time change. i also have 3 friends whos children are doing this. I would say try it out one night and see if he gets up way too early. if he doesnt then let the little man go to sleep as early as he wants lol. =]
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 12:09 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Are his naps shorter during the day? I noticed that when my baby sleeps less during the day he gets tired earlier. But he also sleeps longer at night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Babies grow when they sleep, so it might just be that he is hitting a growth spurt if he is more tired than usual. Is he also eating more than normal? If so, better get out the bigger sizes soon..LOL
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:23 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Thanks for the feedback! His naps are pretty irregular, still, and some days (like today), he might only nap for a total of an hour or so. But recently, even on days when he's napped well, he's getting sleepy much earlier.

The growth spurt thing is a possibility...a couple of times in the past few days, he's pounded down a full 6 oz bottle, and one day, he took another ounce on top of that. normally he eats 2-4 ounces in a feeding, so 6 is a lot. I was hoping his growth had slowed for awhile...he's only 5 months and almost 30 pounds already! ;-)
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 1:44 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• oops, just wanted to clarify...he's still exclusively breastmilk fed. i can't tell how much he's had when he nurses, but he gets bottles of EBM in day care, and sometimes his dad gives him a bottle, so i get an idea of how much he's taking at a time.
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 1:47 AM on Oct. 26, 2008