My 1 year old is watching tv... What are some things I can do WITH her that will keep her attention?

I have become lazy, lately, and it seems i just end up watching tv. I HATE it. And to make it worse, my 1 year old is stopping from playing and watching... What are some things/games I can do WITH her that will keep her attention? (i have never known much about kids, so being a parent has been a HUGE learning experience for me. I never baby sited, changed diapers, or even held a kid before I had her. I REALLY need some help) I love our little girl to death, and she is so smart. I would like to encourage that instead of slowing her down! I want to be a good mom, help!

constantlymovin

Asked by constantlymovin at 1:20 AM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try giving her interactive toys that are in bright colors and with lights and sounds.
    Another option is to switch off the tv when you see her getting addicted to it.
    This action is very time bound. Kids get distracted very easily when they find some other thing interesting than the tv.
    Hope it helps.
    bhraman

Answer by bhraman at 1:34 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Read, read, read! Get outside and go for walks or to the park. Go to the zoo. Turn on some music and dance with her. Get some interactive DVD's to watch with her. My daughter loves her Mommy and Me DVD's. We sing and do the movements to them all the time.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 1:56 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I have a one year old who LOVES to color. I will tape a piece of paper to her high-chair and give her the really fat crayons. Maybe your little girl would like that as well!
    MaddisonsMomma

Answer by MaddisonsMomma at 2:32 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• You could try baby v-smile. I sometimes sit with my son and help him figure it out...It works with the TV (interactive) or as a stand alone)
    Smerfyjiggles

Answer by Smerfyjiggles at 7:50 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Make it a GOAL to keep the TV off for an entire day (or if you're brave enough, a week!). Take her outside. Get her some sidewalk chalk to play with. Go for walks. Have a picnic in the backyard with her favorite foods. Read to her underneath a tree.

I truly believe kids need fresh air. Whenever my kids are done playing outside they are usually so pooped that they pass out where they land. They love the outdoors. It's good for them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:18 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Books, books and more books...now is the age when she will become interested in books, pictures, colors. Talk to your daughter and shut the TV off.

Play with her toys, sing to her, clap hands, dance around....you'll have a blast with her and she'll love it too.
    Kids crave attention from caregivers...it's what makes them happy.
    1funkymomma

Answer by 1funkymomma at 9:01 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I have tried all of these suggestions as well and the only thing that works for my LO is to go outside.. Nothing else works, she is not into playing with her toys or reading.. She does love her puzzles though...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Try Coloring with her, or going to the park is always a great bonding experience for me and my son.
    Asia101

Answer by Asia101 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Dance! We dance often. It peps up everyones attitude and it teaches your kids the value of having fun, letting loose, not taking yourself too seriously, and living in the moment. Cant beat those kinds of lessons! Turn on the tunes!
    bvona

Answer by bvona at 10:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2008