My kids argue about/over EVERYTHING!

My eight year old and five year old argue and fight all day...every day. I can't handle it any more. I've grounded, yelled, screamed, talked, begged, pleaded...everything. And they just won't stop. I understand that siblings will fight about anything at any given time, but these two can't be in the same room with each other for any more than a few minutes without arguing/fighting about something. They get home from school and are fighting from the time they step off the bus until I get them in the house and make them sit apart. They fight every time we get in the car. They argue over everything no matter where we are or what we are doing. Why are they like this? Am I doing something wrong? Am I not doing something I should be doing?

nightwhispers76

Asked by nightwhispers76 at 11:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well,since they are 8 & 5, its the sibling thing. Since they don't get along, maybe for you to have a peace of mind, change how they spend time together. Let one do this, and one do that. Make a schedule for them and tell them why.They will understand quite well. Let one watch one thing and the other do something else. Sometimes you have to just adjust things in life to make it happier. i am one of 4 and we argued quite a lot growing up . you know what they like to do, so make a schedule that will give you peace and make sure they know the consequences if they mess up.Eventually they won't like being seperate and they will get along.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 8:05 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Two of my kids are like this also. I have five and if these two are within visual distance of each other, there will be fighting. I can only recommend to keep up with punishing them for fighting. At the same time you ground them, make them go without tv, games and whatever else they love to play with. Make sure you follow through with whatever punishment you give them. In the odd chance they are together and getting along make sure to comment to them on it. There really isn't a solution, and you are not doing anything wrong - some kids personalities just don't mesh.
    janie-o

Answer by janie-o at 1:34 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I'm just glad to know it's other kids besides my own. My 7 and 6 year old do this nonstop.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• My 4yr old and my 5 yr old fight like this at times . when they do i sit them in the same room as me and make then sit indian style facing each other and I put their faces so close that their noses are almost touching but not touching. I then tell them they have to sit there for 4 min as that is the youngest one's age . they are not to move or touch each other and not say a word this usually helps and they get up and go play .
    Disneymom1218

Answer by Disneymom1218 at 2:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2008