i posted a ? about 5yo pooping in his pants, about a week ago..

..well, he's done it again! when i picked him up at school, and he got in the car, it was unmistakeable!!
he said, ''sometimes it just comes out!"
how do i get him to understand that he HAS to tell the teacher either he needs to go to the restroom, or he needs a change of clothing?? (yes, they have their own extra clothing in their cubbys, just for this and other reasons.)
i'm so angry, mostly because i don't know what to do..help???

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 4:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• talk to his dc nd then the teachers,its not ok.nd the teachers have to know what he is doing.
    ivette0423

Answer by ivette0423 at 7:32 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My son went through this phase too. I don't know what to tell you, I think it's just them "testing" their boundaries or something. My son only did it a few times.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Tell the teacher he's having real issues with this and since you cannot be there, ask her to quietly walk up to him and send him to the potty. Also, get up earlier for a while and feed and water (lack of better expression) him so he might poop before school. Have him sit on the toilet too. Sometimes they hold it so long during the day and forget that they really do just have accidents. He's not trying to infuriate you. Just talk to the teacher and have him wear a sticker or something on the sleeve of his shirt to "remind" him. I'm sorry, I remember how frustrating this is. Both my boys did this once in Kindergarten. They were just as horrified.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Is he showing any other behavioral problems? Did this just begin when school started. Boys with ADHD/ADD are more likely to experience toileting issues. Boys and girls with ODD sometimes have the same problem. If it only began when school started..it sounds like stress. My grandson had real issues in kindergarten with toileting. His biggest problems were he is painfully shy..and the lack of privacy in the restroom. You may need to ask for a conference with his teacher to brain storm ideas to help him.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My son did this VERY thinkg and I couldnt figure it out either....he is a VERY mature smart kid and all of a sudden poop in the pants...I was like "what the crap is going on"

Found out he was CONSTIPATED!!! YES constipated! Its like the anus gets desensitized b/c it has a lot of pressure on it....and loose poop behind the impaction squeezes out without them feeling it or knowing it. They cant help it at all.

I started my son on mirilax his Dr prescribed and problem stopped....I just have to make sure he is staying regular.

When my son did this he would poop every 3 to 4 days...so I really didnt think it could be constipations...but it can be.

Check this issue out before you blame him...it might possibly not be his fault!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:15 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• talk with his teacher about this and see what she can do on her end and keep talkin to him bout to go to the restroom when he feels it about to come.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:10 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• jean..he's horrified at the thought i will talk to the teacher about it. i know i will have to, and i plan on sending a note with him monday morning concerning this.
    i tried explaining to him that its okay to tell the teacher he needs to go, or needs to change his clothing. and he usually does do a 'morning dump'. this is the 2nd time in a week, so hopefully, with the teacher being aware of it..idk. its just frustrating.
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• thanks, grneyedgrandma..i am not aware of any stress, obvious signs anyway, and he's not really the shy kind. but, yes, he's never done it since he's been potty trained..3 yrs ago. a meeting with the teacher is coming up!
    i appreciate you ladies answering..i'm calmer for it. thank you!
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Oh yes....and some small amounts of dehydration can cause impactions too....so increase his water intake...
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Thanks, mom2!
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2010