Friends or no friends?

I have a 4yr old son. I live in an apartment complex with more children. We just moved in 4 months ago but my son had seemed very shy to speak to them. I gave him his space and he finally began playing with the other kids. There is a 6yr old girl that seemed to be left aside. I thought that was mean so I allowed my son to play with her. The other day he was joking around with my husband and said bad words. When I asked him about he told me she used bad words. I have noticed she is very bully-like to the other kids, and realized that may be the reason they don't play with her. I don't think its fair to keep my son inside for one child but I am afraid of her looking for him and passing on her bad habits to him. I have thought about speaking to her mother about our kids playing together but she is a very conflicting person herself. What do I do?

mary_jane_213

Asked by mary_jane_213 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Either talk to your son about using the words and that it's not appropriate in your house or I'm afraid, avoid her for a while. You can have your son tell her you guys don't use those words. You can also walk up to her and say "Hey Sally, we don't use nasty words in our house, can you try to keep it inside while you play with my kid?"
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I would observe them playing, if the little girl says a cuss word I would tell her that we do not say those words, if the problem persists or this little girl is bullying the other children then I would confront the mother.
    BeachMommy07

Answer by BeachMommy07 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Sounds like the other children were doing pretty well on their own.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2010