• In the Spotlight:

Loveys?

My daughter (almost 11 months old) has a lovey (security item) and she can not sleep with out it in her crib. Everyone keeps yelling at me and telling me that its not safe to let her sleep with a stuffed animal in there. The stuffed animal is a pink poodle baby toy. Is it really unsafe? I mean if this poodle is not in her crib then forget about the rest of the house getting any sleep.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think 11 months is old enough to be safe... as long as the toy is safe for a baby, nothing that can be pulled off and become a choking hazard.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:54 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Yeah, I'd say she's fine too. I mean she can roll over by herself and sit up so it's perfectly safe.
    katyameliasmom

Answer by katyameliasmom at 11:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Yeah its safe and they say that babies who have a security object that is not a parent are more secure children overall.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• You're fine. My daughter has to have both blankets and her silkie in the crib at all times. She's also had a stuffed animal in there the whole time too and no problems.
    mommalady

Answer by mommalady at 1:00 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• This stopped being a concern once she could roll over. Considering that she is nearly one, I suspect she's been perfectly safe for over 7 months.

The one thing I STRONGLY suggest you do tomorrow - find a second one. Try ebay. Get a gently used one if possible. And then start rotating them so each has her smell and has about the same amount of wear. It will pay you huge dividends if you lose one.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:06 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• tell them worriers that they worry to much.. my son has four bears in his bed... one in each corner.. plus a blanket.. and... he sleeps on his stomach.. and he sleeps just fine, granted he hardly moves when he sleeps, but i think a baby that is 11 mos old, is old to have a lovey... and a poodle ta boot too.. very sweet.. good luck.. i was told that if they become real attached to it, you should get two, incase the other one gets lost or broken..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:26 AM on Oct. 26, 2008